Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing this game recently, and now I see an announcement that VPG will be taking their print-on-demand games out of print. Is this one of them, or does the "deluxe edition" listed on BGG mean it's being mass-printed already?

I guess really my question is just: Is this game about to go out of print?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Crown 2nd edition is deluxe in comparison to the first edition, but it's still print-on-demand. For the Crown has NOT been mass-printed and will (as far as I know) be going out of print when VPG moves in 2017.

I believe VPG's only mass-printed games to date are:
Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)
Nemo's War (second edition)
Darkest Night (Second edition)
(some of those have been Kickstarted but have not yet shipped)

Some of VPG's existing catalog of print-on-demand games will probably get new mass-printed editions, but no specific plans have been announced yet. I know that updating a game for a new print format is a lot of work, and they'll have to consider whether that effort would be better spent producing new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my own opinion/thoughts. This has been a decent seller so I could see it still being available.

I know they are starting to downscale a bit already but I don't think it will be until the end of 2016/start of 2017 where stuff starts to be really unavailable. And even then the first things they might stop printing copies of is the stuff that is not really selling anyway.

The games that are real good sellers will probably be the ones that will be printed out of house. I do not know how different these versions will be compared to the current ones. The games that are not good sellers will disappear. The tough one to call will be the games that are right on the border of selling enough to warrant a printing or not. Those will be the ones that might be tough to get if they choose not to make anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok forget about my thoughts. Just listen to Jeremy as the guy who made the game might have more knowledge of what is actually going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
For the Crown 2nd edition is deluxe in comparison to the first edition, but it's still print-on-demand. For the Crown has NOT been mass-printed and will (as far as I know) be going out of print when VPG moves in 2017.

I believe VPG's only mass-printed games to date are:
Dawn of the Zeds (Third edition)
Nemo's War (second edition)
Darkest Night (Second edition)
(some of those have been Kickstarted but have not yet shipped)

Some of VPG's existing catalog of print-on-demand games will probably get new mass-printed editions, but no specific plans have been announced yet. I know that updating a game for a new print format is a lot of work, and they'll have to consider whether that effort would be better spent producing new games.

So is it safe to say that any games that will be printed after VPG stops print on demand will be Kickstarter editions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
So is it safe to say that any games that will be printed after VPG stops print on demand will be Kickstarter editions?

Not necessarily. They will be large-scale print jobs, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Kickstarter will be used for funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.