Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book makes it clear that certain attacks are inefficient (and only certain shields are fully efficient) in certain situations. So, from this, I have the following questions.

1. Page 8 of the rulebook says that, "Pulse Torpedo Attacks are halved only
when there is at least one targeted enemy with both Photon Pulse
and Photon Torpedo Resistances." The way this reads, I would believe that a ship must contain BOTH resistances to halve the attack of a Pulse Torpedo; page 9 of the rulebook says that, "Only Pulse Torpedo Shields are efficient
against Pulse Torpedo Attacks.". I understand that resistances and shields aren't one-for-one equivalents, but is there any typo here? Is it true that when a player, using Pulse Torpedo Attacks, attacks a NPC, the NPC only reduces these attacks by half when then they contain BOTH photon pulse AND torpedo pulse resistances, but when a NPC attacks a player, the player must reveal specifically Pulse Torpedo shields to half this attack?

2. The rulebook states on page 8 "Now total the Attack value of all the played effects. If at least one targeted enemy has one or more Resistance icons, then all attacks of a type that match a Resistance icon are inefficient – their strength is halved. (Total all inefficient attacks, divide the result by two, and round down.)" However, when totaling shield value, we're called to "total the values of all inefficient Shields, divide by two (round down), and then add the full values of all effi cient Shields" (rulebook page 9). This would lead me to believe that if I attack with phasers and photon torpedoes, the attack fully becomes photon torpedo attack (as there is no specific claim here to factor in resistances and then add the basic attack, as there is in the shield section). Can someone offer further clarity here?

3. In PvP combat, if the attacker has 5 attacked that went unblocked by shields, and the blocker's captain has a defense of 2, how much damage would the blocker take, and why? From what I can tell, the rulebook simply says that the attacker must have at least the captain's defense value (in this case 2), but it doesn't expressly state that damage is then carried out in the "normal", nonPvP fashion. I assume that it is, and thus the blocker would take 3 damage (5 Damage = 1 Damage card, reduce 5 by 2 = 3, 1 damage card, reduce 3 by 2 = 1, reduce damage card, reduce 1 by 2, no damage). Am I correct?

4. Is it correct that if a player "fully attends" combat in PvP, they CANNOT take an action?

5. Page 12 of the rulebook (when discussing PvP combat) states, "If the Long range Attack consists of Attack effects of multiple types, the Shields effect is efficient if it is efficient against at least one type represented
among the Attacks." Because a basic attack (one without specifying the type) is considered a phaser attack, does that mean that if I played a basic attack, a pulse torpedo attack, and a photon pulse attack, that all the blocker need play is basic shields to have full efficiency (as the basic shields would be fully efficient against the phasers, and thus against the entire attack)?

Sorry if these have already been answered or are overly fiddly. The game seems outstanding (and at our house, we really enjoy Vlaada games AND Andrew Parks games), so we want to make sure we get it perfectly correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - January 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes. This is the case because there is no "Pulse Torpedo Resistance" for NPCs. So that is why the rules are slightly different.

2. For PCs, you have the option to divide your attacks up when fighting resistant enemies, so there is a penalty for lumping resistant and non-resistant enemies into one attack. NPCs don't have this option when attacking, so the onus is on the player to manage their Shields properly.

3. Correct, he would draw 2 Damage Cards. The main difference in PvP is that leftover damage below the blocker's defense us ignored.

4. Correct, the combat effectively becomes their Action as well.

5. Correct. If the attacker in PvP wants to take advantage of special attack forms, he or she needs to exclude basic phaser attacks during the assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
1. Yes. This is the case because there is no "Pulse Torpedo Resistance" for NPCs. So that is why the rules are slightly different.

2. For PCs, you have the option to divide your attacks up when fighting resistant enemies, so there is a penalty for lumping resistant and non-resistant enemies into one attack. NPCs don't have this option when attacking, so the onus is on the player to manage their Shields properly.

3. Correct, he would draw 2 Damage Cards. The main difference in PvP is that leftover damage below the blocker's defense us ignored.

4. Correct, the combat effectively becomes their Action as well.

5. Correct. If the attacker in PvP wants to take advantage of special attack forms, he or she needs to exclude basic phaser attacks during the assault.

Andrew,
Thanks so much for the reply! Regarding my second question, would the following be true: If I were to attack one ship (a ship with photon pulse and photon torpedo resistance) with 4 (phasers) and 4 (photon torpedoes) that my damage would only be 4, because my full attack takes on the qualities (if you will) of the photon torpedo attack, and 8 halved is 4?

Essentially, I don't know what you mean by "divide your attacks up", unless you mean when fighting multiple ships?

And, I'm not sure why the blocker would only take 2 damage in the aforementioned situation. Could you help there at all? If I'm hit with 5 points of attack, and I have a Captain's Defense of 2, wouldn't this yield three damage?

Thanks again for taking the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - January 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
For #2, I was indeed referring to fighting multiple NPC ships. If you make one big attack against multiple NPC enemies, then if one of the enemies is resistant to a particular type of attack, then all enemy ships are considered resistant to that type of attack.

However, the good news when attacking an NPC ship is that all attacks that the enemy is not resistant to get counted in full. So in your above example, the normal phasers would still count as 4, and the photon torpedoes would be counted as 2, so you'd have a total of 6 damage go through.

This is different when attacking a PC ship. When you attack a PC ship, if the defender plays a type of shield that is resistant to any of your attacks, then that shield is considered resistant to all of your attacks.

For #3, here is the big difference between assigning damage inflicted from NPCs and assigning damage inflicted from PCs.

When assigning damage inflicted from NPCs, then any leftover damage (below your Defense value) still causes you to draw a damage card. So if you were attacked by an NPC, and you received 5 damage (when you have a defense of 2), then you would receive 3 damage cards.

When assigning damage inflicted from PCs, however, you must receive as much damage as your defense value to receive a damage card. So anything less than your defense value would be ignored.

So in your example, if a PC ship inflicts 5 damage against another PC ship (with a defense of 2), the ship would receive 2 damage cards, and the leftover damage point would not inflict a third damage card.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

P.S. I know the distinctions here are a bit of a brain burner. My own cerebrum was deep fried many times during the development of this game. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.