Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What follows is a review of the components for the recent Kennerspiel des Jahres winner, Isle of Skye, in addition to a look at exactly what you'll see when you rip off the shrink wrap! You can find my other “A Look In The Box” reviews here.

Isle of Skye is housed in an unassuming medium sized box adorned with the Mayfair logo and a man with a bagpipe. Mayfair is not known for their fantastic component quality, so we shall see how Isle of Skye stacks up! he box is actually just the right size to house all the punched components. It theoretically could have been slightly smaller, but then everything would have to be crammed in, and the bagged tiles would have to be organized prior to storage. As it is, it gets a thumbs up from me. thumbsup I also enjoyed the quip on the back of the box stating that it comes with "Wooly Sheep" as a feature. sheep

Inside the box, the components are mostly cardboard. The exceptions are the run-of-the-mill wooden cylinders to round tracking and score keeping, and a large brown cloth bag. A majority of the components are game tiles, and they can be conveniently stored in the provided bag. Inconveniently, the game came with zero plastic bags to actually store the non-tile pieces in.

A five player game, Isle of Skye comes with 6 of a lot of things, including discard tokens and player screens. This is due to the punchboard dies, as it is cheaper to print an extra player screen than to have an entirely new die designed to avoid this. The player screens are of the thick-cardboard-assemble-yourself variety, which I quite like. Similar to many things put out by Queen games (although a tad thinner I believe), these player screens are superior to the thin-foldey-cardstock variety.

Why they chose to print "Isle of Skye" on the extra player screen is beyond me though. It would have been easy enough to print a 6th family name to give players another choice. At the risk of having people try and play a 6 player game, all they would have had to do is include another colored wooden cylinder to give players another color option. Heck, they could have made the 6th color option black (the color of the round tracker) so that the unchosen colored cylinder is used as the round tracker instead. It seems like a neat idea that would have been easy to pull off given that they were printing the pieces anyways.

The game also comes with a double sided scoring board (always a great idea) which flips based on the player count and fits nicely in the bottom of the game box. Additionally, there are lots of cardboard windows representing scoring options. No complaints here, the cardboard is thick enough that no warping is evident. I keep all my windows in a plastic bag that I provided.

A plethora of cardboard coins also come with the game, the same thickness as everything else, and easy to read and use. I always appreciate a denomination in between 1db and 5db.

The component quality for this Kennerspiel winner exceeded my expectations! I was dubious when I saw the Mayfair logo, but picked up the game anyways due to the great things I heard about it. I should note that all of the punchboard pieces came out of the cardboard very easily, it was a pleasure to punch them all out. No rips, tears, and twisting required! I wish my Roll for the Galaxy tiles had come out as easily, they were a mess! A lack of plastic baggies and an odd 6th player screen are easily overlooked for nice cardboard. If you had any doubts about the component quality of Isle of Skye, now you have the scoop. Pick up a copy today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should look at the Lookout logo more than the Mayfair logo regarding this game. Lookout games produces quality stuff. They distribut through Mayfair in the US.

Odd about your Roll for the Galaxy tiles. For me, they were some of the easiest tiles to punch I have ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
You should look at the Lookout logo more than the Mayfair logo regarding this game. Lookout games produces quality stuff. They distribut through Mayfair in the US.

Ah, there's the Lookout logo, on the back of the box :/

pfctsqr wrote:
Odd about your Roll for the Galaxy tiles. For me, they were some of the easiest tiles to punch I have ever seen.

I'm fairly certain that I got mine from one of the later print run(s), did you get yours fairly early after it came out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most likely an expansion will add another player at this point along with more scoring cards.

Love the game with even 2 it works well. Looking forward to trying it with 3-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:
Most likely an expansion will add another player at this point along with more scoring cards.

Not sure I would want to play IoS with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Sullivan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mpalframan wrote:

Ah, there's the Lookout logo, on the back of the box :/

In teeeeeeny tiny print haha. I had to zoom in just to catch it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stev4uth wrote:

This is my favorite new game of the year. I first played with 5. That can be tough. I have also played with 3 and 4. Both are really good. I have yet to play with 2, but both the wife and I enjoyed it, so I'm sure it'll make it to the table for 2. I think 4 may have been the best. Maybe 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sören Paukstadt
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
The "odd" 6th player screen is actually no 6th player screen, but a replacement and round overview in one. We had cardboard left and thought, that this might be the best solution for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.