Subject: Trading? We don't need no... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Matikainen
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To help us along a bit, we decided to draw three Roles each to choose from. I settled for the Generalist, my brother joined in as the Operations Expert, while the third players chose the Medic.
Not a bad trio, except for the fact that we lacked trading abilities. This would come back to haunt us…

The initial setup left the Americas completely free of disease (good vaccination, I guess) but we had hot zones in southern Africa and on the borders between the middle and the far east. Finally, several European cities had been infected, but none very hit heavily.

The initial focus was containing the hot zones as we gathered more cards. The Medic cleared up Africa and Europe on his own, though this did cost us two cards. Meanwhile, the Operations Expert and Generalist managed to handle the east, thought we saw our first Outbreak there.

A few lucky draws gave the Operations Expert five yellow cards, and we got the yellow cure fairly quickly. At this time, the Americas was finally getting hit, so we had to divide our attentions.
Meanwhile, I had gotten four red cards, and with some bothersome logistics I managed to meet up with the the Medic to get another cure.

After this, our lack of trading abilities started to show. It was only through clever use of Event cards that we were able to get five black cards to the Medic, while at the same time keeping the red disease from spreading too much.

While we had focused on this, we had managed to get the blue cards we needed. Unfortunately, they were spread out between the OE and myself. Fortunately, several of them represented neighbouring cities, so trades would be possible.

But we were running out of time. The blue disease had spread rapidly while we looked elsewhere. We would need some luck to get things together quickly enough. Or brains. Which we apparently lacked.

The last turn of the game hit us with we three more Outbreaks in the blue region. These were the only possible Outbreaks, and we had access to an Air Lift. Had we recognized that situation and dropped our Medic in either Essen or Milan, we could at worst have suffered two Outbreaks, and thus had a small chance at victory.

With that being said, we can also blame the (un)luck of the draw to some extent. Twice we saw new Epidemics that resulted in immediate Outbreaks because the newly infected city was drawn again after the shuffle.

Final note: I fear I am becoming an alpha player in Pandemic. I don’t think the other players have noticed yet. Got to try and keep this in check though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That team could have done well with the Hinterlands Challenge. Have the Operations Expert build research stations in the Hinterlands spaces. You get your movement & trading ability drastically enhanced. Use the Medic to pop out where things are worst & the Generalist where it is light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.