Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sherri Haight
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hastings corporation just got bought after bankruptcy, and they are being entirely closed down. Stores must be shut down by October at the latest.

Meanwhile, there will likely be some sales or deals to keep an eye out for, so if you have a hastings near you, check them out for bargains on all sorts of gamey goodies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am saddened. This was a great place to get deals on used books, movies, and music. They even had RPG stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a bummer. We loved stopping there when traveling. They reminded me of a Media Play on steroids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I grew up on these stores so I'm sad to see them go too. I don't have high hopes for liquidation prices though - usually chains like this hire a liquidation company to oversee the closure and that company is trying to maximize their own profits so prices are sometimes even higher than they were during sales.

*edit* I actually had a discussion on this topic with someone after I posted this and they thought I was crazy. Not that Time is the keeper of all truth (they're just keepers of all time, duh), but here's an article about a recent chain closure:

http://time.com/money/4252250/sports-authority-sales-stores-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boniface
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean this Hastings? https://www.gohastings.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Heath
United States
Victoria
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gusjustgus1 wrote:
Do you mean this Hastings? https://www.gohastings.com

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummed to hear the news as well, I actually helped open a new Hastings store and worked there over a year while I was in college. The only reason I quit was that I moved to an area where there were no stores to transfer to. Doesn't really effect me directly (again, none in my area) but I've got a lot of friends back home that are really gonna miss them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werewolf Kai Jason
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if that includes their non-Hastings named stores like Tradesmart. It's been a go-to place for me since we lost Media Play back in the dark ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert V
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiwolf wrote:
I wonder if that includes their non-Hastings named stores like Tradesmart. It's been a go-to place for me since we lost Media Play back in the dark ages.

I know that all of the MovieStop stores around me have either closed or are closing. So, I would guess that they're all going.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Puente
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got an email saying the entire store is 30% off. That still won't match up to most online deals but keep an eye out in case it drops further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Their site appears to be done and almost all inventory has been removed from their Amazon storefront. Their eBay store I'd still stocked but no board games and no real deals on other items from what I saw: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Abraham
msg tools
I noticed they stopped stocking more used books online and feared this was coming. I have a very large collection of graphic novels, almost exclusively purchased from Hastings or from conventions so I am very saddened by this. I've gotten so many great books during 3 for $21, 4 for $20, or 40 percent off or more sales that ended up saving me many hundreds, if not thousands, over buying retail. I would scour their website at 3 AM to nab recently stocked graphic novels before they went OOS, then pray they didn't cancel my order for no discernable reason (which they did often). It was a hassle but well worth it. R.I.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
mbmbmbmbmb
RIP, bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
Looks like they're currently listing board games and novelty items at %20 off. No idea if/when there'll be another price drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Ramos
United States
Nolensville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to my local Hastings today. Pretty underwhelmed at the going out of business "deals" across the board. snore May be better later, but probably pretty picked through by then as well.

Hate to see the store go though. While the games selection wasn't bad (usually sold at MSRP), I don't know of any other store since Media Play that had such a collection of pop culture kitch all in one place. Definitely a place for us nostalgic types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I grew up on these stores so I'm sad to see them go too. I don't have high hopes for liquidation prices though - usually chains like this hire a liquidation company to oversee the closure and that company is trying to maximize their own profits so prices are sometimes even higher than they were during sales.

*edit* I actually had a discussion on this topic with someone after I posted this and they thought I was crazy. Not that Time is the keeper of all truth (they're just keepers of all time, duh), but here's an article about a recent chain closure:

This will be an interesting one. Hastings had run some pretty aggressive sales at times. I would occasionally buy Dicemasters foils there at B1G1 half off, which while not as cheap as online, it was great for buying lower numbers of boosters than would be needed to hit a shipping threshold. I stopped by my local Hastings today and saw people making purchases that were more expensive than the normal sales they had run over the last few months (e.g. 20% off all Pop! figures vs. B1G1 50% off they had run continuously over the last few months). It was sad to see customers spend that money now versus when it could have helped the company pre-bankruptcy.

That said, they also had some things that are hard to find on any discount normally, such as some of the higher end collectibles, etc. They aren't going to move product to other non-closing stores, so it will be interesting to see how they continue their markdowns. I'd imagine some items will be boxed up and sold to other retailers/resellers in bulk instead of seeing larger markdowns later in the sell-off process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wheeler
United States
North Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
jwalk40 wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

This will be an interesting one. Hastings had run some pretty aggressive sales at times. I would occasionally buy Dicemasters foils there at B1G1 half off, which while not as cheap as online, it was great for buying lower numbers of boosters than would be needed to hit a shipping threshold. I stopped by my local Hastings today and saw people making purchases that were more expensive than the normal sales they had run over the last few months (e.g. 20% off all Pop! figures vs. B1G1 50% off they had run continuously over the last few months). It was sad to see customers spend that money now versus when it could have helped the company pre-bankruptcy.

That said, they also had some things that are hard to find on any discount normally, such as some of the higher end collectibles, etc. They aren't going to move product to other non-closing stores, so it will be interesting to see how they continue their markdowns. I'd imagine some items will be boxed up and sold to other retailers/resellers in bulk instead of seeing larger markdowns later in the sell-off process.

I did notice that all the clearance stickers had been removed from items (like the MetalEarth Star Trek ships that were, I think, between 25% and 50% off and were now only 20% off). It doesn't look like they're sending out their usual flyers with discounted items anymore, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
prices are sometimes even higher than they were during sales.

This is typically my experience. 90% of the stuff will fly off the shelves at a 10% discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Arino
msg tools
I will add my disappointment with the sale here as well. Went to both Hastings in my town and only walked away with Coup, which was about the same price as on Amazon.

Both Zombicide: Rue Morgue and Imperial Assault were priced at $99, and with their "Everything Must Go!" Sale, the price after tax still would have been $85. I offered them $60 a piece (which is what their amazon price currently is) and they said no.

They have always had awesome stuff, but have also always had way too much of a markup on their analog games. It looks like even while trying to liquidate they still don't understand how to actually push product off the shelf.

For a few months now their POP Vinyls have been BOGO half off. Now that "Everything must go" they are on sale for 20% off. Which is now more expensive than they used to be by about a dollar per two dolls. smh

I don't think I'll be going back. By the time they are at 80% off, it will be garbage leftover anyway and everyone will have bought things at deep discounts (that could have been purchases cheaper elsewhere).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JoystickWizard wrote:
It looks like even while trying to liquidate they still don't understand how to actually push product off the shelf.
[...]
I don't think I'll be going back. By the time they are at 80% off, it will be garbage leftover anyway and everyone will have bought things at deep discounts (that could have been purchases cheaper elsewhere).

Sounds like they do know how to liquidate for maximum value. Why would they jump right to huge discounts if, by your own admission, most things will sell at way less of a markdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sellars
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hastings filed Chapter 11, not Chapter 7. Hastings stores are not all closing down. I was just at Hastings in Norman Oklahoma and had asked an employee about this very subject. She told me that Hastings will not be closing their doors and that Chapter 11 was a "break even" filing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcamedies wrote:
Hastings filed Chapter 11, not Chapter 7. Hastings stores are not all closing down. I was just at Hastings in Norman Oklahoma and had asked an employee about this very subject. She told me that Hastings will not be closing their doors and that Chapter 11 was a "break even" filing.

They filed Chapter 11 last month in the hopes that someone would buy them. It was an option, not a guarantee that they would stay open

That didn't happen so they are closing all locations. They don't have to refile bankruptcy to do that.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Hastin...

The employee likely was dealing with outdated information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damn I use to buy used blurays/books online every time they did a 40% / 50% deals they had once every couple of months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.