BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Midwest

Subject: Looking for Group in Twin Cities region - MN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Zerby
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Let me start by saying a few things. One, I know there is a thread for Minneapolis-St.Paul. I decided to post it here as kind of a "wider net". Two, I also know of board game groups via meetup and have actually gone to a decent amount. The problem with going to meetups is they're generally aimed at anyone showing up so most of the games played are light or gateway games. I think ticket to ride is ok, but I'm starting to go crazy playing it and at this point I want to play more mid-weight games.

That being said I am looking for a board gaming group or collection of people to play with more consistently. Something along the lines of groups that meet twice a week or more (Twice is plenty but more is great). I'm up for meeting anywhere (game stores, restaurants, homes). I don't mind meeting with players that are older or slightly younger than me but it would be great to find some people in this hobby around my age. I would love to find a group that has decent sized collections but I now have a good amount myself and can bring any of them (30+ games).

I know going to meetups and visiting local hobby stores is good way to find people to play with. Most of the time though asking strangers at these places only gets you into the game not into the group. Most of the people who gather at game stores seem to already be with friends or gaming groups. This post is an attempt to find groups who are actively looking for more people.

Here is some basic info about me! (Incase you're now possibly thinking of messaging me)

Sex:Male
Favorite Board Game: Stronghold by Ignacy
Favorite Genre: Fantasy (Sci-fi is cool as well but I'm a sucker for castles)
Favorite Shows: Merlin (BBC), Stargate SG1, Firefly, Lost
Most Recently Played Board Game: Letters from Whitechapel
Most Recently Purchased Board Game: Five Tribes
Favorite Video Game: Bioshock Infinite
Current Occupation: Student

Again, this post is more of an active attempt on my part to speed up the socializing process. For some time now (coming on 3 years) I have been into board gaming but my traditional friends have not. Its a little frustrating to sit on a collection of games without any reliable way to play them. The board gaming community is one of the nicest I have encountered but its always hard to break in and find the group that fits you. I'm a little convinced at this point that I probably won't find a group this way but I figured it doesn't hurt to try.

If you made it past all that txt, congratulations! Message me if you're looking to add someone like me to your group. Also, I just made an account on BGG to post this so if I don't get back to right away I apologize. You can also email me at Zerbia8@gmail.com. (I'll see it faster).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a good place to start.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/199117/twins-cities-ev...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Zerby
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I don't think you read my message... that's not what I'm looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbia wrote:

The Monday night group at Level Up is very welcoming and plays a wide range of games. If you are able to check it out I encourage it. Sure most of the people there know each other, but I've seen a few new people just stop by and jump in no problem. Once you are there the first time you are part of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gamed with a couple guys from the Level Up group (including Chad) and the are super friendly. Plus it's a great store.

If you live west of Minneapolis there's the Waconia group. We play Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon at Waconia Brewing. Not sure what your transportation situation is since you're a student but thought I'd throw that out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sataranji
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lucas, in which region of the Twin Cities are you looking for a group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Zerby
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I live in New Brighton which is pretty close to the cities. Ill pretty much go anywhere though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerbia wrote:

You are looking for a consistent game group to play with, correct? They are on that list. Consistent groups play at the game nights at stores. For example, I play Monday's at level up. I also play at the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays at Lift Bridge Brew Company.

It sounds to me the regular game nights at Level Up, The Source, Or FFGC are for you. Also possibly look into First Minnesota. Lift Bridge uses meetup.com though that will tend to be lighter games as we play from 7pm to 10pm (when the place closes). Level Up will be a mix as we will play from 6pm to whenever. There is a late night Magic group that shows up that keeps the gaming area open until 1-2am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.