NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have the following card games, but haven't played them yet;
Haggis
Diamonds
Gang of Four
Triumvirate

Which couple of so-called 'climbing' and/or 'trick-taking' games are worth keeping (or getting) based on the following;

- 3 players most common
- more than half the time the opponents are non-gamers
- less than half the time opponents are gamers.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm only experienced with Haggis and Diamonds off that list, but I'd go with Haggis (and I imagine you'll get many such votes, this forum being subscribed to by many Haggis partisans). I did like Diamonds, but the hidden trackable information about who's winning, combined with the frequent attack powers keep it from being a top recommendation for me. The only ladder game I'd rather be playing is Tichu, but Haggis is a much better choice at 3p.

Outisde of that list I'd keep my eye on Pi Mal Pflaumen (Plums) and Trick of the Rails (forthcoming), both trick taking games with enough extra stuff going on that they're still interesting at lower player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:
I'm only experienced with Haggis and Diamonds off that list, but I'd go with Haggis (and I imagine you'll get many such votes, this forum being subscribed to by many Haggis partisans). I did like Diamonds, but the hidden trackable information about who's winning, combined with the frequent attack powers keep it from being a top recommendation for me. The only ladder game I'd rather be playing is Tichu, but Haggis is a much better choice at 3p.

Outisde of that list I'd keep my eye on Pi Mal Pflaumen (Plums) and Trick of the Rails (forthcoming), both trick taking games with enough extra stuff going on that they're still interesting at lower player counts.

I agree with all of this.

Our group (which can be 3 or more, mostly non-gamers) tried Diamonds a few times but found it a little tedious (or fiddly).

Tichu has been extremely popular. We played Haggis a few times, but the group never got into it for a couple of reasons. First, we were rarely just 3. Also, people found more enjoyable the wild combinations in Tichu and thought Haggis a little dry in comparison.

If you're consistently 3 and think that Tichu would have had appeal, I recommend that you look for Chimera. It is designed for exactly 3, and it has more of the flavor of Tichu than Haggis does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Haggis and Diamonds have been popular with my group. I think that Diamonds would go over better with nongamers. Gang of Four is similar to Tichu; a group usually plays one or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replies.

It is the attack powers in Diamonds, as mentioned above, that had me doubting it. Is there a trick-taking game that non-gamers might similarly like? Wizard?

I like that Haggis plays with 2 or 3 players, but just wonder if it's too dry for non-gamers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tod_13 wrote:
Thanks for replies.

It is the attack powers in Diamonds, as mentioned above, that had me doubting it. Is there a trick-taking game that non-gamers might similarly like? Wizard?

I like that Haggis plays with 2 or 3 players, but just wonder if it's too dry for non-gamers?

I could see Haggis being dry for non-gamers, in addition to having some pretty counter-intuitive playable card combinations. Clubs is definitely the easiest trick taking game to pick up, but I just find it too dull, especially at low counts. Considering everything you've said I'd still recommend Pi Mal Pflaumen. The beautiful artwork and oddball theme has wide appeal and the rules aren't bad (well, they're bad to read in the edition I have, but they aren't bad too teach). Most importantly, since there are no suits, per se, and thus no need to follow suit, you never have one of those groaning moments when you realize someone who didn't quite grok the rules made an illegal play during the hand and threw everything off. You play three more or less identical seasons (hands) and everyone will have a good grasp of the mechanisms and basic strategy after the first.

Edited to note that Pi Mal Pflaumen does have some attacking in each hand, but it is mitigable (with the dog card), trackable (same number of stealing cards each age) and if playing with 3p you will usually only have one legal target at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some more ideas.

Sticheln is excellent - although the game is heavily focused on giving bad cards to your opponents.

Potato Man is a fun trick-taking game - and more serious than the name suggests. Although it plays 2-5, it's really for 3-4.

Chronicle is sort of Love Letter meets trick-taking. Every card has a special power - and every hand has a different goal (e.g., take the most/least green/red/blue cards, etc.).

Take a look at ebbes - we played it for quite a while. It's a trick-taking game in which things like trump suit, positive suite, and negative suit get decided during the course of each hand (based on how cards are played). I probably didn't explain it well, but it encourages different kinds of thinking than other trick-taking games.

Like Potato Man, Too Many Cooks is a good trick taking game that looks sillier than it is.

Joraku is an area-control game that uses rounds of trick taking to determine how you move or place pieces on a board. It's a nice game, and it has trick taking, but I wouldn't call it a trick-taking game per se.

Then there is Gods' Gambit, which is Love Letter meets Uno. (I know that I'm straying here.)

Linko! isn't a trick-taking game, but it has a similar appeal.

A couple of games that I have not played but are well liked by some:
Trick taking: Mu from Mü & Lots More (and other sets).
Climbing: Frank's Zoo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again!

Lots of great suggestions for me to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3 players who will often be non-gamers, I second the suggestion of Chimera

Here's a review (by me) which compares Chimera to Haggis (and Tichu).

While I don't think Chimera is nearly the game that Haggis and Tichu are, it's fun and light and the core Dou Dizhu shifting 2-against-1 gameplay is great for 3 players and it's quicker to learn and more accessible for non-gamers than Haggis, especially if you get rid of some of the rules cruft of very rare combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.