Hide
4 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Tips on painting the Phoenix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Over the past 2 months I've been painting quite a bit, prior to that I had no painting experience. My work isn't great, but I'm happy with the character I've been able to breathe into the models and personal character has come to mean more to me than perfection, when painting.

Anyhoo
I feel I'll be ready to start my biggest painting project, the Phoenix. Thing is, I'm determined to base the majority of the wings, and the head white. Furthermore, though I'll Lahmian it down and probably mix washes, I'd like to wash the white in Nulin oil.
Based on my experience, and what I've read, white is pretty challenging to highlight and can be problematic with washes.

I do feel that this colour scheme is the only one which will make me happy in acquiring a sort of 'negative/corrupted angelic' look. I'm hoping that since the Phoenix's wings aren't a smooth surface, but rather quite textured, the wash will smudge a lot less like it would on say a white Gorm.

Any tips or tricks are welcome.
Thanks chaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathon pendleton
msg tools
I did black base and then mixed a red and purple to give it a dark red feather. Hands a jaundice skin tone about yellow. Beak and talon bronze, turned out pretty well for my first paint job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommi
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I don't think the nuln oil is right for washing whites. It will just make the model look "dirty".
Whites are very hard to paint, even so with a figure of this size.
I would personally probably base it with khaki, then wash the figure with reikland fleshshade or something similar (brownish wash), then layer on bonewhite/whites on top to bring the details and colors up. Using pure white only by drybrushing lightly in the end.

Anyhow, once you do get it painted show us the results. I also have my phoenix on the painting table atm. Going for "traditional" brownish colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.