GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 122.02

7,323 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Robert Baldock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm involved in designing a custom deck of playing cards which is primarily intended as a language learning tool for children. The cards are divided into 4 suits. But rather than having numerical values, each card has a different word and a picture illustrating that word.

I've found some good multiplayer games that could be played with a deck of cards like this (20 questions, rock/paper/scissors, story-telling type games etc) but I'm trying to find a game that would work in solitaire form. Pretty much all of the solitaire games I've found so far seem to involve sequences, but this isn't going to work in this case.

So, can anyone suggest any non-sequential solo card games that could be adapted for a deck of cards like this?

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rbaldock wrote:
I'm involved in designing a custom deck of playing cards which is primarily intended as a language learning tool for children. The cards are divided into 4 suits. But rather than having numerical values, each card has a different word and a picture illustrating that word.

How about adding different symbols to the cards; this could then allow them to be used for a Uno-type game? The symbol could also be used for set-collection games (such as Rummy); collecting same type of symbol; same-type by color; "runs" of different symbols and so on. Aside from that, rules from story telling games like "Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game" could probably adapted for this deck.

EDIT: If you add some pictures to your posts of example cards; you might get more inspiration from the community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Brown
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Your idea is ambitious.. I wish you all the best in finding a solution....

Games that come to mind are:

Kloo (language learning)

Goblins Drool (rhyme and logic)

Dragonwood ( 5 suits 1-12, great alternative for standard deck )

ROX (a little abstract, but somehow relevant)

Rory's storytelling dice.

I found Once Upon a Time card game is too difficult on kids under 9, but it does inspire them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the storytelling side there is Tell me a Story series of cards from Eeboo. This kind of thing might be too hard to do with only 1 object on a card. Maybe a rhyming thing like in Goblins Drool, Fairies Rule! or a color matching or first letter matching game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.