39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

John Quick
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Can I make sure I've got this right - flanking fire bonus is awarded in a non- field hex if

a) the original value shown on either die is '9' or '0'

b) the unmodified total of both dice is 9 or 10.

c) both of the above

d) something else entirely.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"a" is correct. If either die shows a 9 or a 0, you've qualified for flanking fire (in an Assault, in a non-field hex). This has nothing to do with the sum of the dice, or the final result which is modified by DRMs.

This bonus allows for the kinds of flanking maneuvers that often took place within a single 425-yard bocage hex in Normandy. It's an abstraction for tactics that take place at a more zoomed-in scale than what the map scale allows. It grants tanks like Shermans reasonable and roughly accurate odds at knocking out Tigers, for example, and will equate to an average of one step of Tigers destroyed for every 4-5 steps of Shermans sacrificed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Quick
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, thought so - I saw some comments elsewhere that made me doubt my interpretation.

I understand the rationale for the abstraction and - having read a couple of histories/diaries it looks spot on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.