Subject: Re-designing a main board. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
Yesterday I've picked my copy of the game and as much as I liked the mechanics and gameplay, I was repulsed by the graphic design.
The game has its age and follows the "German school of aesthetics", so comparing to modern games it looses a few points.

The player boards and hexes are decent, although buildings could be more distinguishable just with a glance.

My biggest concern is the main board. There's too much going on there. Fiddly hex supplies arrangement, remainders of actions on each trade good space, bonus tiles arrangement, meandering point tracker and the general use of dull colors. Also there might be some spare space for workers and silvering supply, but it seems lots of players are using bags or inserts, so this may not be necessary.

So I plan to re-arrange the board, simplify it and add colors.
I did something similar with Rex board already.

I need some suggestions from seasoned players what to include/change.
Probably most of you are accustomed to the way the board looks, but I'll do it anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good plan to me! Here are some suggestions:

Having all the bonus tiles in the same place. Currently they're split 50/50 between the top/bottom of the right-hand-side.

Non-meandering score track. I assume it was done like that so the spaces were big enough for the players' discs to fit in and still go up to 100, but there must be a better way (smaller discs for one!). Plus scores, in games I play at least, regularly go above 200. Would be nice to have some way to indicate that on the board, not using the single 100-chit-disc (which can only indicate >100).

Not sure how else to do the goods depots or the tile spaces. The black market being in the middle has no logical position, other than that it was the only space left to put it. Perhaps have that off to one side, then you can line up the depots in two rows of 3, for dice pips 1-3, 4-6. Might make things neater?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An early draft done in MS paint

Trade good depos have to be in such way you can easily determine neighboring ones for the sake of one knowledge.
So I'll play with hex-symmetry.

Black tiles - indeed, they don't need to be in the middle, I haven't thought about that, thanks!

What about scoring similar to Seasons' one, but ranging 0-50, with spaces to mark how many 50s did we get so far.
One system that would suit me, but not necessary even my game group, that I haven't seen in any game, would be three 0-9 scales to mark units, tens and hundreds.

Edit: I've found a great thread about keeping score: Every Score Keeping and Stat Tracking Method Known to Humankind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, an entirely separate score-track would free up more space on the main board anyway. Then you could do that score-track however you wanted, perhaps offering 0-50 or 0-100 on one side, and the 0-9, 10-90, 100-900 3-track on the reverse?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
The game has its age and follows the "German school of aesthetics", so comparing to modern games it looses a few points.

??? It was released in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, I haven't checked that.
This game reminded me of Thurn and Taxis so much, I assumed they were released the same time. My mistake.

... which is even worse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Palframan
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
This game reminded me of Thurn and Taxis so much, I assumed they were released the same time. My mistake.

... which is even worse

I would love to see a redesigned/themed Thurn and Taxis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
It is indeed a dull-looking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So, I tried to squeeze everything as much as possible and maintain a clear middle cross section (for easier gluing).
Turns out there's lots of space left - thus the areas for workers and silvering.

Of course the looks will improve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Of course the looks will improve

No!..the 18xx guys will love this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the 10*10 white grid is the score track?

Looks nice! Certainly less intimidating looking than the current board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
XIPULOXX FHTAGN!
mbmbmbmbmb
mpalframan wrote:
fizolof wrote:

... which is even worse

I would love to see a redesigned/themed Thurn and Taxis!

Personally, I think it looks much better than Castles of Burgundy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Plus scores, in games I play at least, regularly go above 200. Would be nice to have some way to indicate that on the board, not using the single 100-chit-disc (which can only indicate >100).

Isn't the 100-chit-disc double sided with one side saying 100+ and the other saying 200+? I'm not at home to check my copy, but that's my recollection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantheron wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
Plus scores, in games I play at least, regularly go above 200. Would be nice to have some way to indicate that on the board, not using the single 100-chit-disc (which can only indicate >100).

Isn't the 100-chit-disc double sided with one side saying 100+ and the other saying 200+? I'm not at home to check my copy, but that's my recollection.

Hmm, I thought it said 100 on both sides. Shows how much attention I was paying when I played it the other week. I'll have to double-check that too now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Work in progress

I've added places for those 100/200 points tiles.
I think I'll replace ellipses for workers and silver with squares or circles.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?
Ditch the background image.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

Indeed. And isn't that Neuschwanstein in Bavaria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

Ditch completely? I thought about making it less visible and saturated, but to cut it?
So what would be a better background?

colmmccarthy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yep, one of a few castle images I've found that suited me, that are available on CC0 license.
Again, subject to change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Ditch completely? I thought about making it less visible and saturated, but to cut it?

I actually like the picture, but I think making it less visible would be a good idea, otherwise it distracts from the actual functional parts of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

Yes, completely. You really don't want anything in the background that is worth looking at as it will compete for the focus of attention, making it harder to distinguish the board features. Even if you decide you do want an image, it should be the last thing you add after you get all the other features worked out.

But seriously, all that image does for me is make it harder for me to tell what else is going on. It makes it harder to distinguish all the non-photo bits and all the non-photo bits make it hard to distinguish the photo. If I try parsing it too long, I start getting a headache. I guess you're going for pretty, but as most of the castle is obscured it doesn't really look good at all. All I see is a big jumble that looks bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

The theme is so cohesive and rich, this game couldn't possibly take place anywhere other than Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the board needs one single improvement : Set the saturation on the tile placements to 25% (Make them much more grey).

Because the tiles are no brighter than the "dummies" on the board, when you are playing the game, it makes it very difficult to see what's available. Greying the board tiles out would make the actual tiles "pop".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
fizolof wrote:
Any suggestions?

The theme is so cohesive and rich, this game couldn't possibly take place anywhere other than Burgundy.

Indeed it could. Except it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.