11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Decision Games ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
msg tools
mb
I took a look at the games on this company. I like the mini series, but after I took a look at this page ? Are they serious ? 19,95 USD for 12 months of videos and things other companies give for free ?
https://shop.decisiongames.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=74

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the professional world, it is now common to offer magazine, newspaper, and journal subscriptions online in a digital format. In fact, more and more people prefer digital instead of a hard copy, and production costs are much lower. Yes MOVES is a professional subscription "for-a-fee" magazine that was first produced in late 1970s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$20 for the year sounds pretty cheap to me. If I owned enough of their games I might be interested, but I only own a handful and don't like their production quality so find it hard to want to buy more...

That said, they have a lot of longtime buyers and fans who will be happy to see this for a year for less than a single issue of C3i, the magazine supporting GMT products.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have access to all past issues of Moves and S&T (or most, depending on how fast they get them converted).

Does GMT give electronic versions of 3cI away for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else used this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dillon
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW C3i and GMT are no longer affiliated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rodger MacGowan's C3i magazine:
A lot of great content from out-of-print issues are gradually being added to the archive. There are many good articles, variants, and scenarios here from past issues:
http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/c3i-article-archive-g...

darthhugo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørn Terje Hansebråten
msg tools
mb
Napoleon at Waterloo,10 USD : Is this the same you got for free at hexwar.net ? https://www.hexwar.net/help/how-to-guides/how-to-play/defaul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Medlin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dndspeyside wrote:
FWIW C3i and GMT are no longer affiliated.

It's definitely true, but pretty irrelevant to this conversation given the magazine is still dominated with GMT content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 2014, I purchased Custer's Final Campaign: 7th Cavalry at Little Bighorn from of the BGG marketplace. A couple of days ago, I finally got around to pulling it off of the shelf only to discover that although it had the 1 page game-specific exclusive rules, it was missing the 4-page standard series rules. I sent an email to Decision Games and "voila" they are sending me the missing rules "free-of-charge." I realize they have their issues, and they get their fair share of complaints, but I thought I would share what just took place since it coincided with the posting of this this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wandererdog wrote:

Rodger MacGowan's C3i magazine:
A lot of great content from out-of-print issues are gradually being added to the archive. There are many good articles, variants, and scenarios here from past issues:
http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/c3i-article-archive-g...

darthhugo wrote:

I think the difference is that Decision Games paid for a property (SPI catalog) for which they didn't gain proceeds from during the time those products were being sold during their original print run or even print reruns. Therefore, they are just using the acquired property for some type of return.

For whatever content GMT is posting now for free, they already had it paid for by original subscribers, back issue sales, etc.

Decision Games got none of that, and when they paid for the SPI catalog of items, did so on the idea that they could capitalize on the future sales of said property. The Moves, S&T, F&M, Battleplan, Wargamer back issues are all monetizable property, and I would think them poor business-persons if they didn't try to gain some return on their investment.

I guess one could go out and buy all the past issues of Moves and S&T and pay 20 - 50x the yearly subscription price of the S&T Library.... and that decision would truly indicate a bad business person (except those that want to hold and/or possess the originals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.