Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wilding
United States
Old Tappan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you place the Medea and / or Medusa Markers during your opponent's Move and Battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mwilding wrote:
Do you place the Medea and / or Medusa Markers during your opponent's Move and Battle?

It's "once per turn" and "move & battle phase", so I would think you decide that during your own activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wilding
United States
Old Tappan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not to be snippy but do you have a source for your answer?

The markers are pretty powerful if they can be placed during your opponent's move/battle. If the markers are placed during your own move/battle they seem less valuable.

After posting my question I looked up Medusa in the old version (Descartes) of the game rules. There was no Medea. Medusa stopped all combat in a province and was played after an opponent moved but before the dice were rolled for battle. So it is was placed during your opponent's move/battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mwilding wrote:
Not to be snippy but do you have a source for your answer?

The markers are pretty powerful if they can be placed during your opponent's move/battle. If the markers are placed during your own move/battle they seem less valuable.

After posting my question I looked up Medusa in the old version (Descartes) of the game rules. There was no Medea. Medusa stopped all combat in a province and was played after an opponent moved but before the dice were rolled for battle. So it is was placed during your opponent's move/battle.

Why would I need a source for my opinion? I said that's the way I thought of the rule, nothing more.

During the rules review process, Medea and Medusa were in quite a state of flux originally. I got the impression that either Serge wasn't quite sure about what he was trying to achieve, or that at the very least he was having a hard time explaining what he wanted clearly.

Combining the English and French final rules, it is stated that the owning player declares the effect when he wants (during another player's turn, potentially), subject to the restrictions that he declare but once per turn and must choose a different Province than last turn. The effect lasts until the end of the turn (end of the phase really, since it doesn't matter once move & battle is done), and affects the units of the adversary that happen to be in the Province, plus those of that adversary that later enter the Province.

(So my original answer was a little off...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wilding
United States
Old Tappan
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mwilding wrote:
After posting my question I looked up Medusa in the old version (Descartes) of the game rules. There was no Medea.

Not a good comparison, the previous edition and the new are considerably different. I would treat them as distinct games, particularly if you throw in the previous edition's Mythological Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shipley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur wrote:

... The effect lasts until the end of the turn (end of the phase really, since it doesn't matter once move & battle is done), ...

By lasting until the end of the round, petrified units could result in a change of Military Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rws2029 wrote:
Urhixidur wrote:

... The effect lasts until the end of the turn (end of the phase really, since it doesn't matter once move & battle is done), ...

By lasting until the end of the round, petrified units could result in a change of Military Leader.

Ah, yes, there is that. So it does matter how long the effect lasts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael,

In the Atlas playbook, it says "once per round" that you may play the Medea/Medusa markers. I so no restriction that these markers must be played during the Move and Battle phase, so you should be able to play them at any time during each round (Collect, Trade, Build, or Move/Battle phases). Most likely, these markers would be played during the Move and Battle phase, but I could easily see playing them as well during, say, the Build phase to "freeze" Triremes/Legions that are already placed or have just been placed. The only restriction on these markers that I see is that they can't be placed in the same Sea/Province space twice in a row (i.e., in consecutive rounds).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Daniel,

The Atlas rulebook says the effects last "for the rest of round," so yes, when the round ends, the effects of Medea/Medusa ends as well. Note also that the Medea/Medusa markers have the standard MN backside for the tokens, so you could flip them to show the effect is over but keep the marker in the space as a mnemonic to remind you not to place the marker again in that space in the following round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric G wrote:
In the Atlas playbook, it says "once per round" that you may play the Medea/Medusa markers. I see no restriction that these markers must be played during the Move and Battle phase

More weirdness. In the Atlas rule book, Medea is qualified with "Phase IV", but Medusa is unqualified (the French rules qualify both). That qualification is itself unexplained in either rule book: it can be understood as an indication (a quick reminder of when the hero's effect is pertinent) or as a restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Daniel,

I interpret the Phase IV to apply to all 4 Heroes shown as the effects for each are in the Move and Battle Phase. (It probably appears only with the first to minimize repeating the text for the other 3.) Also, I think the reference to Phase IV is simply a reminder of when the effect takes place, not when the markers may be placed, given that the text says "once per round," and not "during the Move and Battle phase."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.