10 Posts

Fief: France 1429» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions that came up during the last play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leif Pettersen
msg tools
These might be a bit noobish question, but anyway, here they are:

1 - Can you buy fief titles and the cardinal biretta to another player's lord? I'm thinking of someone doing it for their ally, for example. Of course having in mind that the receiving lord fulfills all requirements.
1.1 - Can you use cards such as d'arc or cardinal cards on another player's lord?

2 - Templars (and teutonic knights, i think) can't attack lords with ecclesiastic titles. But can they attack other Templars or Teutonics?

3 - If someone makes a move to attack you in the movement phase, when still in the movement phase, it is your turn to move, can you move backwards to a village that you perhaps control? You may be leaving the "attacked" village uncontrolled or leaving soldiers behind, but is doing that to save your lord. Can you do that?

4 - Is the title of Templar or Teutonic knight by itself enough to qualify your lord to vote in the king's election? As it seems quite easy to obtain and I don't seem to find anything specifying it in the expansion rules, I just find it unlikely to be so. However, in the general manual, it does say any titled lord.

That's all I can remember for now. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Flamant
France
Bezons
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
I'll answer with the french rules in mind

1. You can give money anytime you want. But i'm not sure you can buy the title for the other. Meaning that if you give the required money, he's doesn't have to use it on the title, as agreed upon.
I need to check that

1.1: yes you can, and the other one can't refuse

2. They can't attack Christians, even excommunicated ones. They can defend themselves. Basically they can only attack during crusades.
Teutonic knight don't have that restriction.

3. I thought no, unless the attacker agrees to let you go. But i just checked and it seems you can if you don't cross path with attacker

4. They don't have a vote in the king election
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Pettersen
msg tools
1 - But you'd need to spend a Diplomacy token in order to give the money, right?
1.1 - Okay

2 - So i guess Templars are a bit worse? I mean, at least if Crusades don't normally happen, because they normally don't when i play.

3 - Exactly, that's the same conclusion i came too, it just seems too easy.

4 - Alright

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
lelis92 wrote:
1 - But you'd need to spend a Diplomacy token in order to give the money, right?

By the base rules, yes, but the rulebook also suggests removing that rule if you want. Personally, I removed the requirement for money, but kept it for card-exchange and private meeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 3, you can consider that once the attack is declared the defender Lord(s) would not flee the combat and leave some troops behind. This just a matter of honor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought battles were declared in the battle phase and therefore allow for the "defender" to retreat. Also I think that the moves are to be seen as happening more or less simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I AM Not A Number
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said "can" because it is a variant indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Flamant
France
Bezons
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
The templar can't attack but can be very rich in a hurry thanks to the temples.
As for the movement i need to dig deeper on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Krakauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Leif

All I’m saying here is written in the manual, so it isn’t just my opinion.

lelis92 wrote:

1 - Can you buy fief titles and the cardinal biretta to another player's lord? I'm thinking of someone doing it for their ally, for example. Of course having in mind that the receiving lord fulfills all requirements.
1.1 - Can you use cards such as d'arc or cardinal cards on another player's lord?

You can’t buy Fief Titles for other players.
The manual says the player making the purchase must control all the villages in the Fiefdom and have a Stronghold in one of the villages, so that would not be the case if he’s buying for somebody else.
Nothing in the manual stopping you from giving cardinal Birettas (either purchased or obtained with cards) to other player’s Bishops.
In case of d’Arc is it said specifically that you can give it to another player’s Lady.
You wouldn’t need any diplomacy token, as those are intended only for cards, money (max 3 deniers only at one time) and to get a 3 minutes private meeting with another player.

lelis92 wrote:

2 - Templars (and teutonic knights, i think) can't attack lords with ecclesiastic titles. But can they attack other Templars or Teutonics?

Ecclesiastic titles have got nothing to do with this.
Templar cannot attack ANY other Christian Lord or Troops, so basically nobody apart from the Saladin and the Saracen troops of the Crusades expansion. They can defend themselves however and fighting their way out of a besieged Stronghold and Fortified City is considered a defensive move.
Teutonic Knight cannot attack other Teutonic Knights, everybody else is fair play.

lelis92 wrote:

3 - If someone makes a move to attack you in the movement phase, when still in the movement phase, it is your turn to move, can you move backwards to a village that you perhaps control? You may be leaving the "attacked" village uncontrolled or leaving soldiers behind, but is doing that to save your lord. Can you do that?

Yes you can.
If you don’t leave troops behind the control of the village goes to the player that made the move to attack you. If you leave some men at arm or knight behind you retain control of the village. There will be a battle if the other player decides so. You won’t be able to initiate the battle because you don’t have a Lord in the village anymore.

lelis92 wrote:

4 - Is the title of Templar or Teutonic knight by itself enough to qualify your lord to vote in the king's election? As it seems quite easy to obtain and I don't seem to find anything specifying it in the expansion rules, I just find it unlikely to be so. However, in the general manual, it does say any titled lord.

No, Templar and Teutonic Knight don’t vote in the King election, not even the Grand Masters of the orders have the vote. It’s at the end of the expansions manuals, in the FAQ session.
The titled Lords that have a vote in the King election are: Fief Lords, Bishops, Cardinals, Pope, Queen Regent. They also need to be not excommunicated, not captive and not on a Crusade.

I hope this is helpfull
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Pettersen
msg tools
Very helpful indeed, covered every point thoroughly. Thanks! I did look all over the rule books for answers to these but I guess I just got lost in all the information. Regardless, again, thank you and everybody else who answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.