$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 133.86

7,821 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you destroy Allies in a counter attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you destroy Allies in a counterattack? For example, if the original attacker gets counter attacked, but doesn't have enough warbands to cover all the losses, do you then lose Allies?

Another two questions; the Arverni can attack Provincial right? Is there any real benefit to doing so?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tacman88 wrote:
Can you destroy Allies in a counterattack? For example, if the original attacker gets counter attacked, but doesn't have enough warbands to cover all the losses, do you then lose Allies?
Yes, nothing says that allies or even citadels can't take losses due to a counter attack.
Since the faction taking losses is not a retreating defender though all mobile pieces must take losses before the ally.

Quote:
Another two questions; the Arverni can attack Provincial right? Is there any real benefit to doing so?
Yes they can. The benefit is the same as anywhere else, to eliminate units and/or any ally disk. Note that the fort halves losses, but can not actually be assigned any.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tacman88 wrote:
Can you destroy Allies in a counterattack? For example, if the original attacker gets counter attacked, but doesn't have enough warbands to cover all the losses, do you then lose Allies?


It seems yes for me:
Step 4 Counterattack—If the Defender declared a Retreat, skip
this step. If not, surviving Defending Forces cause Losses to
Roman Attackers per below.

and

A Faction must either remove pieces or roll dice, in a sum equal
to ½ for each enemy Warband or Auxilia, plus one per enemy
Leader, plus one per enemy Legion in the Battle.


Allies are also pieces thus that drives me into conclusion that you would need to remove allies. Of course, they should be removed last, first mobile forces which did not retreated.

tacman88 wrote:

Another two questions; the Arverni can attack Provincial right? Is there any real benefit to doing so?


My thoughts:
1) If you control Provincia, you cut supply line through that region.
2) Also, recruitement there costs 2 not 0 resources.
3) In addition, you are preatty close to completly cut supply Line from Cisalpina - Sequani region is just nearby.
4) is creates devastating morale hit on ROmans - I saw it in game with humans (no bots) and Roman player immediately had to return and abandon what he was already planning
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tin
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But I fail to understand why anyone will pay for a battle that causes self elimination...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
But I fail to understand why anyone will pay for a battle that causes self elimination...
There is an event that forces an enemy to attack you.
If the Romans get very lucky rolling to keep legions alive it may also happen.

I don't see it happening often though.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A person wouldn't, but the bot did. I think it was 3+ Belgic warbands in a space with Roman Legions, auxilia Caesar, and a fort. The chart had them attack the Romans, and the resulting counterattack (after rolling a 5), wiped out the Belgic warbands and the Ally disk. There's always a chance I played it wrong.

Not necessarily what a human player would do, but interesting and unpredictable anyway. That's what's cool about the bots.

Thanks for the answers guys!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tacman88 wrote:
A person wouldn't, but the bot did. I think it was 3+ Belgic warbands in a space with Roman Legions, auxilia Caesar, and a fort. The chart had them attack the Romans, and the resulting counterattack (after rolling a 5), wiped out the Belgic warbands and the Ally disk. There's always a chance I played it wrong.

Not necessarily what a human player would do, but interesting and unpredictable anyway. That's what's cool about the bots.

Thanks for the answers guys!
Isn't there a check for the bots that compares how many losses they inflict compared to how many losses the counter attack will inflict?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
Canada
Port Perry
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yup you're right Niko. I missed that wording in this battle. Thanks for catching that.

I was trying to rationalize it by thinking that the Romans had somehow coerced the Belgae into attacking them. When in actual fact, they would have seen the size of the Roman forces, and not attacked in the first place. Cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
tacman88 wrote:

Another two questions; the Arverni can attack Provincial right? Is there any real benefit to doing so?


My thoughts:
1) If you control Provincia, you cut supply line through that region.
2) Also, recruitement there costs 2 not 0 resources.
3) In addition, you are preatty close to completly cut supply Line from Cisalpina - Sequani region is just nearby.
4) is creates devastating morale hit on ROmans - I saw it in game with humans (no bots) and Roman player immediately had to return and abandon what he was already planning

Re item 3), just note that Ubii also is adjacent to Cisalpina (representing more Alpine passes to the east and potential for transport down the Rhenus if that route is not under too much hostile threat from, typically, the Germans).

Thanks all for answering!

Volko
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hokuto_su wrote:
But I fail to understand why anyone will pay for a battle that causes self elimination...

In addition to an Event like Impetuosity (as mentioned above), I can envision a case (though don't think I've seen it in practice) in which a small revealed Arverni force could put a Loss or 2 on Legions that have no Auxilia, in a space with Arverni Allies. It could be worth the shot at a Legion even if the Roman riposte would Subdue the Arverni Ally (or Aliies), depending on the score.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.