Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter link: http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter
Campaign ends: August 14.

Roots of Mali
is on Kickstarter

Kickstarter-Link: http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Enter a fascinating fantasy world created by SunCoreGames, where mystical tribes are torn apart by internal strife. Fierce power struggles and cunning strategies lead to epic confrontations deciding over total supremacy in the Warring Lands.

Roots of Mali – The Game
Roots of Mali is a remarkable challenge for strategists. A portable, tournament-ready combat and positioning game that is easy to learn and has great replayability. Players compete against each other with characters represented by dice – zero luck involved!

One World – Many Tribes
Roots of Mali is a standalone game and 100% compatible with its predecessor Light of Dragons. Tribes from both games can be combined for new challenges and even greater replayability. Each tribe consists of 6 di erent creatures with unique abilities and distinct power levels. Tribes from both editions can easily be distinguished by the color of their representative dice.

The Confrontation – How to Play
By vanquishing an opposing creature you gain Victory Points equal to the creature‘s power level. The rst player to collect 10 Victory Points wins. This is achieved by tactically moving creatures and exercising their special powers to outwit your opponent, eliminating his character dice from the board, the Warring Lands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #1
From the campaign page: http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Quote:
Dear Backers,

welcome to the Kickstarter campaign for Roots of Mali. The party has just begun and music starts playing inviting tunes. Let's gather in the kitchen for now and get known to each other.

In this first update I'd like to send out a warm welcome and big hello from the whole team at Suncoregames before I show you around. My name is Daniel, I have joined Suncoregames to support game designers Adrian and Bujar throughout the campaign. Other than here you'll find me at Board Game Circus and some of you might already know me from BoardGameGeek and Kickstarter of course. I am an avid backer myself and you are invited to look at my backer profile, maybe we have already shared some campaigns. Interesting side note: I became a Superbacker today, thus I am wearing the Superbacker badge on my profile.

Funding Goal in Swiss Francs

CHF is short for Swiss Franc and that is the currency this campaign is using. When running a campaign on Kickstarter the only choice you have is using your own countries currency. Well, actually that's not even a choice, it is just that. If you are not familiar with the Swiss Franc, you'll be happy to hear that it historically is a stable currency that pretty much converts to other major currencies for an almost fixed rate, without any ups and downs. Your credit card company will do the math for you. And we have added rough conversions to Dollar and Euro to the pledge levels as well.

Customs Friendly Shipping

Speaking of major regions, like the EU, USA, Canada or Australia where most of the backers usually come from. For these regions we offer customs friendly shipping from within each area. So no custom charges for you. Of course we love all our backers the same, so everyone is welcome. We are covering part of your shipping costs ourselves to make sure as many games as possible will make their way to the gaming tables all over the world.

Group pledges and Retailers

We love group pledges. Actually I am part of a nice group pledging community on BoardGameGeek myself. If you want to order a larger amount of games for your store, web shop or gaming club, we are happy to receive your personal message. And yes, these will be available for pick-up in Essen, too.

Essen Pick-Up

So what is Essen? Where can you pick up the games instead of having them shipped? Once per year Essen becomes the board gaming Mekka when the SPIEL opens its gates. SPIEL is supposed to be Europe's or maybe even the World's largest gaming fair with up to 1500 board game releases per year and hundreds of companies of all sizes represented. Suncoregames will be there with a small but lovely booth to show and teach Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons... and to hand out backer rewards. So if you happen to visit SPIEL too, you are welcome to pledge for Essen Pick-Up and fetch a signed copy at the booth.
Community Stretch Goal

This was a fun idea to help spreading the word. Let’s play a little game and collect Victory Points just like in Roots of Mali. For each 100th backer/follower/subscriber we will reward the community with 1 Victory Point. At each 5 Victory Points wer are going to unlock another community stretch goal. We are all in this together and by collecting Victory Points you can help us to reach even more people. We have written down the current numbers for Facebook etc., which is now our „zero“. Starting from there we are counting up.

These are the links for your actions:

Like: https://www.facebook.com/Light-of-Dragons-1603856869863915/
Follow: http://twitter.com/suncoregames
Follow: http://instagram.com/suncoregames
Subscribe & become fan: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202245/roots-mali

Throughout the campaign we will posts community stretch goal statistics whenever we post updates.

Roots of Mali / Light of Dragons

You heard me talking of Light of Dragons. LoD is the predecessor of Roots of Mali (RoM). It is also a standalone game with its own tribe, featuring six different creatures with their own special abilities. LoD had its first appearance at SPIEL'15 (there it is again!) and will probably be sold out after this campaign. So before people at Essen can get their hands at the first edition of LoD we have decided to add them to this campaign. If you want to go all-in on the tactical abstract adventure, this is it. 300 copies are available (plus 100 for the 2-game tier) and after that there is only thin air.

During the campaign we will teach you how to play the game, that will help you to make a decision whether you want both or start low. For that we are providing a low-ink print'n'play and a digital game at Tabletopia.

Print'n'Play

All you need is a solid bunch of six-sided dice, a printer and two sheets of paper. We have compiled a low-ink version of the game board and a dice-conversion-table to allow you playing the game with available standard dice. We agree that the low-ink print'n'play isn't as visually pleasing as the real game but it should serve its purpose. The bright and colorful deluxe Print'n'Play is reserved for those backers who love crafting their own games. Get the print'n'play right here: http://bit.ly/rom_pnp

Tabletopia

Tabletopia is a beast of its own, a sandbox platform that allows game designers to implement a fully digital version of their games. You can use Tabletopia in a web browser once you have downloaded the Unity web player, your browser will prompt for that. From what I have heard it might not work on Chrome. Tabletopia is also available on Steam. I think you need to be registered for that but the browser versions of Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons are available for free and for everyone while Tabletopia is still in beta.

Other than in a real computer game the games on Tabletopia are 1:1 copies of their physical brothers and sisters. There is no artificial intelligence, no computer opponent, just the game in a virtual room on a virtual table. You need to know the rules and you need a friend to challenge. Both can be found right here at the Kickstarter campaign. I suggest starting with the rules. Once you have had a look at these we will teach you how to play, and once you are familiar with that we are hosting designer-vs-backer games on Tabletopia.
Language

I should mention that we are a team from Switzerland and Germany. English is not our first language. Please keep that in mind when you feel that something wasn't communicated properly. We are here to help and answer your questions. If you are in doubt about something please feel free to ask.

We are grateful for your support and happy to have you with us. All the best

Daniel & SunCoreGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #2
From the campaign page http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Quote:
Who is playing tabletop games? And by that I don't refer to family games or board games, I am talking of strategic tabletop games? It seems like the scene caught fire, tabletop gamers really love Roots of Mali because of its deep strategy. "Zero luck involved!" is what we say, because you don't roll the dice. You move them, upgrade, attack and cast spells with your creatures. In Roots of Mali (and Light of Dragons) it all comes down to your skills, strategy and tactics. Outwit your opponent by clever creature combinations, build traps and catch them off guard.

Tomorrow we are going to start posting short videos with gameplay tutorials. We are highlighting game setup and each characters abilities from the Golden Fruit (1) to the mighty Mali (6). But before we start let us have a look at the wonderful videos that some of my favorite YouTubers made...

Video Reviews
This great introductory video with a detailed review was made by To Die For Games. It is in English, so welcome international backers, this is for you...

For all German-speaking backers we have a great podcast episode by Megabotato you should listen to. They played several sessions of Roots of Mali and Light of Dragons and give very detailed insights. Also discussing their sessions and what makes the game great. Click: https://www.magabotato.de/podcast/item/episode-50

Dice

I got a private message from the current Guinness World Record holder for the largest collection of dice, Kevin Cook. He is a backer and has added the dice of Roots of Mali to his collection. Technically Guinness probably wouldn't accept them as 'dice' because you are not rolling them in Roots of Mali. Except when determining the start player. You can visit Kevin's website here: DiceCollector.com

We on the other hand think that these are real dice. Because the are heavy, they are huge and they feel good. No need to play a dice chucker to have some (30 in total!) awesome dice. Let's have a closer look at the final product...

This is a die from Light of Dragons. I have chosen this one for the photograph because other than the Roots of Mali prototype dice this is a final product. And it is exactly the same quality that you will receive with Roots of Mali. One set of black 20mm plastic dice and one set of green 20mm plastic dice. Thirty awesome dice. Solid, sturdy quality with a nice detailed print.

I put them on a scale and although it was made for cooking and isn't quite accurate I got a result of approx. 9-10 Grams per die. That equals 0.32 ounces.

Tournament

Yes, a competition! Online and while we are still live with the campaign. Starting next week we will organize an online tournament where you – the backers – can compete in Roots of Mali using the digital browser-version on Tabletopia. This coming Saturday (23st of July, 17:00 - 24:00 CET) game designer Bujar Haskaj will introduce you to Tabletopia and show you how to play online. Once you got the hang of it you can try yourself and prepare yourself for the tournament. After the introduction we will share a spreadsheet where you can register for the tournament simply by filling in your backer name. On Saturday I'll post a link to a hangout or Skype group chat to help organize Bujar's schedule with you guys.

Thanks for backing us. If you are still on the fence please do come in. We need you and every backer is much appreciated. Let's get to 20% within the first 48 hours, wouldn't that be great?

Thanks and all the best

Daniel & SunCoreGames

P. S.: Any ideas how we can bring some more life to the comment section? If you are a Swiss/German backer: do you feel comfortable with us posting solely in English? As international backer: can you live with our English?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
95% funded, 23 hours to go. Join us: http://bit.ly/rom_kickstarter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.