Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game» Forums » General

Subject: Card Previews - What You're Getting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
We have started the game and card previews for our upcoming Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building game. I will continue to update this post as more previews are made.

Talents and Flaws - http://bit.ly/2asoK2X

Serenity (Strikes and Upgrades) - http://bit.ly/2adYOnc

Side Jobs & Inevitable Cards - http://bit.ly/2aKBOQH

Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game will be at Gen Con this August. It will release to stores on August 10th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the previews Mark. I should read the Encounters rulebook in order to understand what's the deal with these Avatars, I guess.

I'm trying to decide which artwork i dislike less: BTILC or this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sulyok
Canada
flag msg tools
Glad to see these previews starting and a release date announced.

However, as someone who has every Legendary release, I have no idea how those avatars and crew cards work. I didn't understand a word of that preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I figure it there are 9 avatars, one for each crew member. There are also 9 heroes in the box: also, one for each hero.

At set up each player chooses an avatar. If playing with less than 5 players, you draw more avatars to complete to 5.

Then, whatever 4 heroes were not chosen - those form your Hero deck (with their respective 14-card heroes).

What I'd like to know is how choosing your avatar impacts your starting hand...

And Adelin - the art looks great, don't know what you're talking about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the card spoilers if you're interested:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure the avatars just mean that each player selects a character. You're essentially that person. Guessing they take damage and can die.

Curious then as to the rest of the mechanics. Was hoping for that in a preview. Ever since this announcement years ago I was hoping that the crew would have jobs to do. Can get equipment and other ppl to help with those jobs, and there would be villains to watch out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, looks like Nathan Filion to me.

Considering Inara's avatar refers to a bonus recruit for characters only, it appears there will be other card types in the 'character' deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Shaunessy

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
Pretty sure the avatars just mean that each player selects a character. You're essentially that person. Guessing they take damage and can die.

This. For those of you who have only played Legendary, Legendary Encounters is a whole different style of game. Each player is character. The game is a story where the characters are trying to complete objectives and survive, not defeat a Mastermind with a Scheme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read there are only five avatars plus four other crew, so only five of the nine are playable
I'm curious about the defeat the talent keyword works
Flaw is also very interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Seems like a lot less characters than other releases SO, I'm hoping that means a lot more cards for missions/episodes!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:
I read there are only five avatars plus four other crew, so only five of the nine are playable

I read it as 5 avatars and 9 playable heroes ( those corresponsing to the 5 avatars included).
I am a bit worried about replayability... how many episodes of Firefly were there? Because it seems that there will be scenarios equal to the no of episodes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernardo Gonzalez
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new with the game (just bought Aliens). What's the Talent thing, is this a known mechanic? And yes the art is dismal. Inara and Kalee, give me a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

I read it as 5 avatars and 9 playable heroes ( those corresponsing to the 5 avatars included).
I am a bit worried about replayability... how many episodes of Firefly were there? Because it seems that there will be scenarios equal to the no of episodes

There were a couple that didn't air. 15.

But then there was the movie as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
Well that is some terrible art for the girls...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On facebook Mark said that the game is based solely on the tv series

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

There were a couple that didn't air. 15.

But then there was the movie as well.

And the comics since

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

Yes you are right, my mistake, so we get to select five avatars from nine each time we play, so if I was a mathematical genius I'd tell you how many times each episode could be played with a different combination of avatars .... The nine crew are always in play though in the crew deck I guess so it depends on how influential each avatar is on how the game session (and how it - edit)plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasnis wrote:
I'm new with the game (just bought Aliens). What's the Talent thing, is this a known mechanic? And yes the art is dismal. Inara and Kalee, give me a break.

Talent is a new mechanic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:

Total speculation, but I am guessing 'defeat this talent' effectively means 'tap this card', ie the power is used and cannot be used again until something 'undefeats the talent' (which is probably from another card or by completing an objective)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be once per turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

Well, there are only 4 Alien movies yet they made a pretty good story-based game on that.

I think the number of Firefly episodes will not be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking for more than a second I think your first guess is right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hist wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

Well, there are only 4 Alien movies yet they made a pretty good story-based game on that.

I think the number of Firefly episodes will not be a problem.

And knowing all the episodes we know the "objectives" and other characters we should expect

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the art looks pretty good. Definitely a different style than the other Encounters games, which is interesting.

I'm certainly excited to see more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
usuba wrote:
AdelinDumitru wrote:
usuba wrote:

Yes you are right, my mistake, so we get to select five avatars from nine each time we play, so if I was a mathematical genius I'd tell you how many times each episode could be played with a different combination of avatars .... The nine crew are always in play though in the crew deck I guess so it depends on how influential each avatar is on how the game session (and how it - edit)plays

It sounded to me like only the 4 supporting characters were available in the crew deck. That'd match the way the other Encounters games work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.