Subject: [Cardhaus daily deal] 1830 $36.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jyothi
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
If anyone is looking its a good deal for a mayfair game that's not on sale often.

disclaimer: shipping &c.

link: http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/1830_the_game_of...

Edit: $63 usually from MM/CSI (currently out of stock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those familiar with the 18xx series, would this be a good first 18xx game? How does it compare/where does it sit among the other 18xx titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
Hustle Like Russell - 12th Man for Life!
badge
My height doesn't define my skill set. To be a great gamer, you have to have great leadership, great attention to detail and a relentless competitive nature - and I try to bring that on a daily basis.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this thread in the Heavy Cardboard Guild: 18xx and where to start?

I have yet to play an 18xx but have P500 1846, and just added 1830 to my cardhaus order that contains The Great Zimbabwe. I can't wait to get one to the table with some friends!

MentatYP wrote:
For those familiar with the 18xx series, would this be a good first 18xx game? How does it compare/where does it sit among the other 18xx titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the granddaddy of the all the 18xx games and a bit more accessible than the more advanced titles.

Once you begin with this title and you find it enjoyable it becomes the launching pad to explore other 18xx titles.

The only downside is that it takes 4-6 hours to play but you can say that for just about any of the 18xx games. I just played this last month for the first time and found the first 4 hours fascinating playing and getting to know the rules better each time my turn came up. The last two hours though was pretty mechanical since there were few meaningful choices left in the game once all the shares were acquired. It reinforced the learning process for me, however.

I'm now ready to tackle 1846, a more streamlined game, albeit, the ruleset is more involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Elliott
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've spent too much lately so I will pass on this but it does seem like a great deal

also I've run out of space to store the games I do have blush right now there's a stack of board games on my chair and the floor in front of it until I can see if I can't rearrange my closet to fit them in

getting into board games when I'm only renting a 89 square foot room in a townhouse was maybe not the best idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I represent no danger.
mbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:

1830 is a great place to start. There are other titles suggested as gateway 18xx but I find you outgrow them way too quickly to justify bothering. 1830 works for learning and has staying power for advanced play. Also it works as a great baseline for 18xx. Once you are familiar with 1830, you can easily play any 18xx with just a brush up on the rules differences. It is 4-6 hours, but any 18xx worth bothering with is.

The downside here is that it is the Mayfair edition which is famously maligned. The old Avalon Hill edition is the one everyone wants. You can read articles about the differences, but in the end I'm sure the Mayfair one is perfectly playable and probably worth a shot for $36.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
MentatYP wrote:

1830 is a great place to start. There are other titles suggested as gateway 18xx but I find you outgrow them way too quickly to justify bothering. 1830 works for learning and has staying power for advanced play. Also it works as a great baseline for 18xx. Once you are familiar with 1830, you can easily play any 18xx with just a brush up on the rules differences. It is 4-6 hours, but any 18xx worth bothering with is.

The downside here is that it is the Mayfair edition which is famously maligned. The old Avalon Hill edition is the one everyone wants. You can read articles about the differences, but in the end I'm sure the Mayfair one is perfectly playable and probably worth a shot for $36.

Thanks for the information! This really helped me make a decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And just in time to use with Winsome Games' 1859! Great timing, if only they had 1844/1845 for preorder this would be one stop train game shopping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Weimer
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so tempted to grab this but I feel like it would probably never get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
I represent no danger.
mbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:
And just in time to use with Winsome Games' 1859! Great timing, if only they had 1844/1845 for preorder this would be one stop train game shopping.

I think there are some issues with compatibility between the Mayfair 1830 and the Winsome 18xx games. The Winsome games are built off of the Avalon Hill edition. In the least, I think the tiles are different sizes. It might still be doable, though. I'm not sure.

This was one of the main reasons I sought out an old Avalon Hill copy of 1830 myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gelatinous Goo wrote:
niftykracker wrote:

I think there are some issues with compatibility between the Mayfair 1830 and the Winsome 18xx games. The Winsome games are built off of the Avalon Hill edition. In the least, I think the tiles are different sizes. It might still be doable, though. I'm not sure.

This was one of the main reasons I sought out an old Avalon Hill copy of 1830 myself.

Thanks for the tip! Hopefully I'll have some appropriate tiles between this version of 1830 and 18AL; either way I'll find out and get that info to the appropriate forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
Inception: 01/08/16
mbmbmbmb
Senatorweims16 wrote:
I'm so tempted to grab this but I feel like it would probably never get to the table.
These days, a three hour game feels interminable. I'm not sure whether I changed or games changed, but there's no way a five hour game is going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Von Duck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same way. If I have 5 hours to play a game, I probably have 6, and I'd rather spend it playing TI3. Otherwise, the game looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.