$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
37.7% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Automobiles» Forums » General

Subject: I like the game, but I hate enough cards to hate over 50% of setups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The core of this game is excellent. Cubes work much better for suffling & its easier to see them in discard. Also its easier to count them from discard for card (=cube) abilities. Every time you get points (=advance on the track, there could be as well named VP spaces) you get cards that you have to deal with. Good, very good.

OK here is the problem. Some cards are designed to comp with themselves. That creates boring deck building. And other stuff... worst offenders:

1) Pit Team

Card is way too cheap. Its the best card to mold your deck. So if this is in the game, I will buy it with all my money. meaning 3rd player won´t get any. Then with its awesome moding power I can rush for any other cube faster than others. Should cost at least 3, maybe 4. Well then wouldn´t be worst offender.

2) Turbo

Card that combos with itself. When turbo is in the game becomes "who gets most turbo". The cost here is irrelevant. If the cost is too high, no one will use it. If its too low its the best card. The card should comp with other color and then one could talk about its other properties.

3) Hybrid engine

Again card that comps with itself. Very very boring.

-----

4) Supercharged engine

This is also a card that comps with itself (although not as blatantly as 2&3).

5) Gearbox

Basically I see the idea here. Catchup mechanism. However just makes early deck building stronger (I would like there to be balance between deck building & driving) & gives 1st player huge disadvantage.

-----

Ok then most cards are boring... not many combo possibilities. Only card that needs more colors is Rotary Engine. So in all cards there is very, very little possibility for combos. I would like to see the car that has the best combination of handling, engine & performance to be the best. If possible add in the gears. However now the card desing is mostly getting the most powerful cubes. It would be enough, if the most powerful cubes (say blues) would need other colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I lke the game, but I hate enough cards to hate over 50% of setups
Riku Riekkinen wrote:
The core of this game is excellent. Cubes work much better for suffling & its easier to see them in discard. Also its easier to count them from discard for card (=cube) abilities. Every time you get points (=advance on the track, there could be as well named VP spaces) you get cards that you have to deal with. Good, very good.

OK here is the problem. Some cards are designed to comp with themselves. That creates boring deck building. And other stuff... worst offenders:

1) Pit Team

Card is way too cheap. Its the best card to mold your deck. So if this is in the game, I will buy it with all my money. meaning 3rd player won´t get any. Then with its awesome moding power I can rush for any other cube faster than others. Should cost at least 3, maybe 4. Well then wouldn´t be worst offender.

2) Turbo

Card that combos with itself. When turbo is in the game becomes "who gets most turbo". The cost here is irrelevant. If the cost is too high, no one will use it. If its too low its the best card. The card should comp with other color and then one could talk about its other properties.

3) Hybrid engine

Again card that comps with itself. Very very boring.

-----

4) Supercharged engine

This is also a card that comps with itself (although not as blatantly as 2&3).

5) Gearbox

Basically I see the idea here. Catchup mechanism. However just makes early deck building stronger (I would like there to be balance between deck building & driving) & gives 1st player huge disadvantage.

-----

Ok then most cards are boring... not many combo possibilities. Only card that needs more colors is Rotary Engine. So in all cards there is very, very little possibility for combos. I would like to see the car that has the best combination of handling, engine & performance to be the best. If possible add in the gears. However now the card desing is mostly getting the most powerful cubes. It would be enough, if the most powerful cubes (say blues) would need other colors.

I have played Automobiles nine times at lots of different player counts. Granted, if you do the random draw at the start of the game you can end up with a selection that does not setup a fantastic game. This hasn't happened to me but has happened with my friend who owns the game. He house-ruled a mulligan rule; if the selection is truly appalling then redo it.

As for problem cards, you say that they can "create boring deck building". I'm a bit confused by that; it is, after all, a deck (or pool) builder. Actually, I'm not inclined to enjoy deckbuilders usually but I like this one.

As for your specific issues with certain cards, I guess this comes down to personal choice. I'm sure nobody would mind if you house-ruled to never come across the cards you hate. If people enjoy the game then they will probably enjoy it without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sneakypete21 wrote:
As for problem cards, you say that they can "create boring deck building". I'm a bit confused by that; it is, after all, a deck (or pool) builder.

I like deck builders. I meant that this card design makes deck building boring. For example with Turbo, the best strategy is to buy as much Turbo as possible.

For example what I would mean by a card that needed more than one color is this imaginary blue:

"For each red and green pair on your player board choose one gear cube on your player board. Move as you had played the gears."

Currently only Rotary engine needs more than two colors (diesel & steering need 2 of the cards that move more than 1 space). What I´m after that, if for example all blue cards needed at some level all (or most) other colors and blue cubes were the only way (or most effective) to move more than one space, then the right build would be more varied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree with you on Turbo. I just don't like what it turns the game into.

Haven't played with Pit Team. I don't think I would have a huge problem with it except for what you say - the ability to buy it all up in an opening purchase. Should have cost at least 2, if not 3 or 4, just to avoid the situation where player 1 buys 10 of them.

Hybrid engine and Gearbox, I kind of like, but I do understand your problems with them.

The nice thing about the yucata implementation is that you can ban certain cards from showing up in a random assortment (and obviously, you can easily do that in physical games too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Weaver
msg tools
I see the issues with Pit Team and Turbo. Both seem abusive when someone goes all-in on that strategy.

The third card I have an issue with is Steering. Its bad. You gain a Wear and lose 2 good cubes to get 3 average movement spaces or possibly 3 bad movement spaces. gulp Every time it came up it was just cash or a sub-par play.

I find Hybrid Engine interesting because it rewards whoever buys the most and whoever buys the least. Its really strong so its something that doesn't work with every card set but my group has had no issues.

I actually like Gearbox a lot. The last game I played I drew 2 Gearboxes in 3rd place and had just enough cubes to cross the finish line and win the game. My issue? The 2 players ahead of me blocked my movement just enough and I came 2 squares short. In a weird way it really sells the racing theme by making everyone look at your board and look at what place you're in. Also, get Gearbox in first place? Its cash. Not optimal but an interesting card imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.