Popular Tags: [View All]
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone recently asked me to compare Kemet and Cthulhu Wars via geekmail and I thought my response may be helpful to others.

I could also be talked into comparing it to Blood Rage and Scythe, or really any game in this genre that I've played.

Glad to answer a few questions about games! Comparing Kemet and CW is difficult for me.

Kemet is much less expensive. Even picking up the expansion, it's around 1/3 of the price of just the base box of CW.

Both have a lot of asymmetry, but CW probably has more. In Kemet, all of the players largely start the same (they do get to choose which colors of pyramids they'd like to specialize in at the beginning which could be different than other players). However, as the game progresses, the asymmetry increases a lot as players buy the power tiles and technologies. While I like both games for this aspect-I feel like because Kemet allows you to pick the asymmetry throughout the game, it offers more freedom in choosing strategies from game to game. Additionally, Kemet is much easier to teach to new players because the asymmetry is picked up throughout the game.

Kemet has a much more Euro game core than CW. One of my biggest gripes in CW is that I feel like it needs some kind of outside limit on actions aside from just power. Comparing Kemet, you have your "prayer" points like power from CW, but each round you may only take a certain number of actions each turn, regardless of how much power you have. In my opinion, this makes Kemet much less swingy (which one you like better will depend on personal choice).

Because they are different, I still have both (and actually have a number of games in this genre -- Cyclades, Nexus Ops, Scythe, Blood Rage) and enjoy both. I personally find that CW is really, really touchy with new players. They often aren't able to appreciate the true board state in the game and often it leads to run away victories (in my experience). You are far less likely to have that problem in Kemet because there is less to learn at the beginning of the game (so if that's a problem you've seen in Cthulhu Wars, Kemet may solve it for you).

If I had to choose my favorite in this genre, it'd totally depend on the day. Scythe ticks a lot of boxes for me (but it has a lot less fighting than the other games and is much more Euro) but is brand new and not even available right now.

I also feel like Kemet may be faster than a typical game of CW (mostly because it is simpler to play).

One thing that CW does better is that the powers are much more powerful. The spellbooks in CW can be extremely game-changing. The powers in Kemet aren't as game-changing on their own, but they are still really interesting.

Also, the theme of CW is one of the biggest reasons I enjoy the game. I love the mythos and I love the figures.

Looking at my response now I didn't really focus on components, but I think both have very good components. The CW figures are breathtaking, especially my painted set of everything now. But for the price and for what they are, Kemet's components are also very nice. The above was more focused on gameplay and mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice summary!

I enjoy both games, but prefer Cthulhu Wars. I find its more exciting, and that the factions have a lot of variety to them in play.

I actually think the base rules of Cthulhu Wars are easier to teach, but the variety of abilities makes it hard for new players to grasp what is going on.

I do really like how combat in Kemet is all about scoring points for yourself as opposed to just hurting other players. The variety of abilities in Kemet is also nice, but having to constantly look up references for them is a pain.

Both good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Both good games.

Absolutely. They both have their strengths! They're both just different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Lovejay
Canada
West of Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Yus haz won eet!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to share this pretty awesome comparison!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.