Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'd like to hear about your experience painting the mini bases with sharpies to distinguish the armies. To those who have tried:

1) Which markers did you use?
2) What parts of the mini did you paint (rim, whole base, shields, etc)?
3) How long did it last?
4) Were you able to remove it?

Thanks a lot! And don't be shy in sharing some pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Durante
Canada
Etobicoke
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this with multi-colored sharpies. I did just the rims of the bases. It sucked. .. The lighter colors didn't show very well and it kept coming off all over. IMHO...don't bother. I ended up painting mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you happen to have some Gundam markers lying around, they do a great job. I just ran them around the edge of the base. It definitely helps speed sorting. We experimented with some other markers in the house, including sharpies, and they weren't up to the job, came off on my hands and had to be wiped clean. Haven't tried to remove the Gundam marker, though, and it has lasted perfectly without any additional steps or sealant through many plays and jostling around in their baggies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased a paint pen set, which uses oil based paint, and the results were excellent. The colors match the regions and it looked good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have done this. I got multi-colored permanent markets. I live in China so I don't know the brand. I colored the whole base except for underneath. Each nation I did according to their color. I colored it on thickly so it was a bit wet with ink afterwards. I used a paper towel to dry off the excess ink and then let them dry overnight. Worked like a charm. I have been using the minis for over a year (have played over 20 games) and it has not been a problem at all. I consider it a fast and great solution to aid quick sorting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys!

Sounds like paint-based markers and paper towels are the way to go. (Or maybe I shouldn't mix the two?)

jsc19702 wrote:
I purchased a paint pen set, which uses oil based paint, and the results were excellent. The colors match the regions and it looked good.

Can you tell the brand you used? And did you pant the whole base or just the rim?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.