Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Variants

Subject: Movie inspector tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Manning
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've been looking through some of the forums for this game and came across a thread in which the writer stated that the game was broken. He played a game where Jack was able to win through rounds 3 and 4 without the inspectors really have a chance to stop him. Jack put his base right by a red number and was able to use that same red number twice by forcing the inspectors move a wretched one off that spot. He then just waltzed into his base.

I was wondering if there could be a variant in which the inspectors move their own tokens instead of the wretched ones if jack chooses to wait on his kill. This would keep Jack from using the same spot twice or even a spot really close to one of his previous killings. It would force him to utilize the rest of the board. I think it would add a little more strategy and hinder a scenario like the one listed above without giving a huge advantage to the inspectors. Essentially, the same things are accomplished: jack is punished for waiting to kill but gains some extra movements and the inspectors are rewarded for this extra time by moving closer to the possible targets if they choose. What are you're thoughts on this variant. It may have already been discussed. I haven't read every thread. If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manningm01 wrote:
I've been looking through some of the forums for this game and came across a thread in which the writer stated that the game was broken. He played a game where Jack was able to win through rounds 3 and 4 without the inspectors really have a chance to stop him. Jack put his base right by a red number and was able to use that same red number twice by forcing the inspectors move a wretched one off that spot. He then just waltzed into his base.

I was wondering if there could be a variant in which the inspectors move their own tokens instead of the wretched ones if jack chooses to wait on his kill. This would keep Jack from using the same spot twice or even a spot really close to one of his previous killings. It would force him to utilize the rest of the board. I think it would add a little more strategy and hinder a scenario like the one listed above without giving a huge advantage to the inspectors. Essentially, the same things are accomplished: jack is punished for waiting to kill but gains some extra movements and the inspectors are rewarded for this extra time by moving closer to the possible targets if they choose. What are you're thoughts on this variant. It may have already been discussed. I haven't read every thread. If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!
If I remember correctly, the original poster of that thread had the rules wrong, and the game was determined to be not broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
It's a strategy that 'can' work.

But I've found if Jack kills around the same spot, it generally means his hideout is within 1-2 spaces of there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manningm01 wrote:

We always play with the version where Jack cannot have his hideout adjacent to a red spot. Of course, he could still have it 2 away and something similar could work.

The variant you suggest would work for novice - intermediate players, but if you played it a lot you would soon find it led to a guaranteed (or almost guaranteed) win strategy for the police. If Jack never has the option of killing on the same spot twice then the police can position themselves such that on the third night there is one policeman within reach of each of the five remaining red spots. Jack kills on one space and moves to the other, and the policeman arrest on both, winning immediately.

My recommendation is to use the 'no hideout next to red spot' rule and, ideally, to generate Jack's hideout at random (there is an app and website allowing you to do that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hopper
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
manningm01 wrote:
I was wondering if there could be a variant in which the inspectors move their own tokens instead of the wretched ones if jack chooses to wait on his kill.
... the inspectors are rewarded for this extra time by moving closer to the possible targets if they choose. What are you're thoughts on this variant. It may have already been discussed. I haven't read every thread. If this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Nice one, I've been wondering the same thing - actually I was wondering if a variant where the cops could move as well as the the wretched would work. Did you playtest your idea? How did you go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.