Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Nothing happens for a reason, but everything happens by a mechanism
badge
God is a cruel croupier, he dealeth and he taketh away
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted here because I thought this crew would appreciate it:

My Grandmother is 95. Though cognitively normal, she is physically frail. She's lived in an assisted living facility for a few years. Meals are communal, and she eats with a man named John. If he's younger than she is, it's not by much. Her husband (my grandfather) died about twenty years ago (and incidentally, was an Okinawa vet).

Last night I ate dinner with my Grandmother and John, and somehow the subject of the Statue of Liberty arose.

John said that the only time he'd seen the Statue of Liberty is when he returned from Europe in late 1945. He said he was in the US Army for 27 months in total, and was in the infantry. From NYC he travelled by train to San Antonio so he could be processed out of the Army (apparently you processed out of wherever you were inducted). From San Antonio he hitchhiked back to the family farm on the Texas-Arkansas border, arriving home at about 3 in the morning. That's probably about 450 miles/720 km.

A few hours later his father woke him up, and his first words were "When are you going to get a job?"
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.