Subject: This or Legendary Predator? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I haven't seen yet the Predator or Aliens movies, I thought that I won't be interested about these games for a while. But I've seen lately so many people enthusiastic about these sets that I thought that maybe there's something more to them than just the theme. From what I could see, they are both very interesting in terms of mechanics...

However, I could not find (maybe I did not look carefully enough?) some threads that compared in detail the main differences between the Encounters and the Predator sets.

Which one would you recommend? Which one has more replayability potential? Which one is more difficult? Which one do you prefer of the two, and why?

I cannot promise that I'll actually buy either game (since I'll perhaps also wait for Firefly), but I can promise giving arbitrarily some virtual, meaningless geekgold arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firefly will be released in the US in 2 weeks. I will be picking it up so I can talk about it than.

I have to admit, I think it really helps if you are a fan of the movies. As an example, Alien's scenario 1 (based off the first Alien movie), has a card in the 'enemy' deck that is the cat Jonesy. The idea is that if you reveal the card before the auto reveal, you get to add it to your deck. This mechanic mimics the attempt to find the cat from the movie. If you are unfamiliar with the movie, you're really not going to understand how they created this thematically cool event within the mechanics of the rules. And than you just might scratch your head about why everyone raves about the game.

The raving is basically how they have taken the mechanics of Legendary and created these very thematic game experiences. If you're not familiar with the source material, you may not get the thematic stuff.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is better.

Predator has less variety and scenarios.

But in all truth, you probably enjoy it A LOT more if you see the movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, knowing the properties helps but it may also matter what sort of game you want. Aliens is THE best for co-op, better than Marvel. Predator is THE best for competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since I haven't seen yet the Predator or Aliens movies, I thought that I won't be interested about these games for a while.

The games are pretty thematic, it would be worth investing the time watching the source movies to see if one or both appeal to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend watching both Alien movies (Alien AND Aliens), then get the Alien game. You'll get scenarios for both movies plus two weird fanfic-type scenarios you can mix in characters from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geosphere wrote:
This is better.

That's not true. Both games have 4 scenarios. In fact, 2 Predator scenarios are competitive, so one could say Predator offers even bigger variety. But I agree Alien is better, I use predator as an addon to Alien, I mix them together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Azikin wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
This is better.

That's not true. Both games have 4 scenarios. In fact, 2 Predator scenarios are competitive, so one could say Predator offers even bigger variety. But I agree Alien is better, I use predator as an addon to Alien, I mix them together.

The problem with Predator is that it has about the same number of cards, divided between two different types of play. So, you only get half of the cooperative game that you get in Alien, and then you get a competative variant. This is all well and good if you want to play both styles, but if you don't, than you're only getting half as much to use.

Predator only gives you 2 locations to play through, the jungle and the city. So, you can't even thematically mix together the different parts from each location to add variety, it doesn't mesh together well. Compare that to Alien, where you have 4 locations, and all of them are in some sort of space station/location filled with aliens, so you can mix any of the 3 parts from any location together without them feeling weird. This gives you a lot more variation.

I feel that, overall, the Encounters system is much more interesting than the Marvel version of Legendary. It feels more like a story, and escalates throughout the game in a measured way that matches the strength of the players. The only downside to it is that you don't get the randomness and variety that you get with the Marvel version. You can play Marvel Legendary about a dozen times or more without repeating anything (masterminds, heroes, villains, henchmen, schemes, etc.), and since the villain deck is created from many different elements, combined with a mastermind and a scheme which change from game to game, you won't ever have to replay the same combination.

If you are the type of person who buys a bunch of games, and plays each of them only a handful of times, than the Predator version will be fine. If you're planning to play the game a dozen or more times, than the Alien version is definitely going to be a better pick. The only exception to this is if you are specifically looking to play competitively against each other, in which case the Predator version is the only option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
plus two weird fanfic-type scenarios you can mix in characters from

I see what you did there. Very cheeky, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sacha cauvin
France
rouen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I resisted buying Predators for à Long Time.

Now i own both.

Fantastic games they are, i logged more aliens play though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go against the grain here and mention that Predator has more complex mechanics and card interactions. The scenarios are also more difficult, and the competitive ones can be played fully cooperatively. I still suggest Alien because it provides a better ramp in difficulty and complexity, but Predator is a step up mechanically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched Tim Norris' playthroughs of both games and decided to go with the Alien version - it looks better from an aesthetical standpoint and I've just seen the Alien movie

I really don't like the artwork in Predator, and it seems less replayable than the Alien version (this has turned out to be the decisive factor because both Predator and Aliens are praised for their mechanics).

Firefly is dropped because of the artwork too...at least for the moment.

Thanks everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Based on what little information is out there right now, Firefly might have a little more replayability, due to the way the avatars and hero decks work, but until we know more, there's no way to say. They did mention that it's going to be released in about 2 weeks, so for anyone who's thinking about getting an Encounters game soon, it's worth waiting a few weeks to see what the reaction is to Firefly.

Predator has a few mechanics that are improved from Alien, but it literally is split into 2 different versions of the game, each with half as much stuff. You have a jungle and a city setting for each, and so mixing and matching pieces together isn't very effective. Assuming you don't want to play a PvP game, Alien gives you much more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Delval
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
Since I haven't seen yet the Predator or Aliens movies, I thought that I won't be interested about these games for a while. But I've seen lately so many people enthusiastic about these sets that I thought that maybe there's something more to them than just the theme. From what I could see, they are both very interesting in terms of mechanics...

However, I could not find (maybe I did not look carefully enough?) some threads that compared in detail the main differences between the Encounters and the Predator sets.

Which one would you recommend? Which one has more replayability potential? Which one is more difficult? Which one do you prefer of the two, and why?

I cannot promise that I'll actually buy either game (since I'll perhaps also wait for Firefly), but I can promise giving arbitrarily some virtual, meaningless geekgold arrrh

Having picked up Predator I finally put the scenarios through the ringer.
And I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Though despite being a coop fan i think i enjoyed the pvp system more.

As for what is better. Pick on the property you prefer.
It's what I did.
I love Alien and ESPECIALLY Aliens. But not the later movies.
In other words half of the box i'd like less.
In the end though I'll probs end up buying the Alien one regardless for variety. And I think a lot of people will as many like movies on bothsides of the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.