Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: What would Scythe's average rating be... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Panayi
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Right now, Scythe's rating stands at 8.5. What do you think it would be if it didn't have minis and and nice artwork? Say it instead had cubes and run-of-the mill Euro-style artwork.

Poll
Scythe's rating would be:
      43 answers
Poll created by paniceolan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. But if it were to be rated that way, it would also have to include all other games being made with lesser art and components as well. Otherwise what's the point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Opp
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
So far in my limited experience, the gameplay holds on its own, regardless of the incredible aesthetics. I've heard it compared to a cross between Terra Mystica and Kemet, with some other stuff in there as well, and both of those games I have rated 10s on BGG. So I'm impressed with the gameplay. I will probably give it a 10 when I finally rate it after a few more games. I figure that's a 9 for gameplay averaged with an 11 for aesthetics, so I feel justified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading between the lines here, but do you feel there is a problem with a game being rated based on it's production value and artwork? These are all tools to help aid enjoyment and elevate the game experience. There's a reason why movies have huge budgets for premium effects and beautiful locations as well.

I don't think it would inflate the score that much though, it's going to affect people in different ways, but maybe it's .5 higher on average, based on love for the great art and components? Just a guess. Then again I think that these things aid gameplay as well in helping to create immersion and clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Panayi
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
TyDeL wrote:
Reading between the lines here, but do you feel there is a problem with a game being rated based on it's production value and artwork? These are all tools to help aid enjoyment and elevate the game experience. There's a reason why movies have huge budgets for premium effects and beautiful locations as well.

No problem whatsoever, but obviously some people value the components more than others. My question was an attempt to get to a rating for the gameplay alone. I play quite a few euros with drab artwork, so I was asking what you think the rating would be if it had similar artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Campbell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still rate it the same as I did. I will play again, any time anyone wants to and will suggest it as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
paniceolan wrote:
Right now, Scythe's rating stands at 8.5. What do you think it would be if it didn't have minis and and nice artwork? Say it instead had cubes and run-of-the mill Euro-style artwork.
Higher probably. Minis are a huge turn off for most euro gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would expect the rating to drop 0.3-0.5 points.

The reason isn't exactly that it would be rated lower per se, but that some people are rounding up due to the amazing components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Soule
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
paniceolan wrote:

I actually think this is true. The minis make it seem like a war game, and it's really not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
paniceolan wrote:

I actually think this is true. The minis make it seem like a war game, and it's really not.

It's the attempt at 4x. That being said.....I don't mind a little chrome. inf act I like it. It gives it character. And soul.
Which is a turn off for people who like soulless games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Thomas
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game play is rock solid, definitely top 10% of my collection. The bits just make it more awesome. And I'm a dust and cubes kind of guy for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
paniceolan wrote:

That's just daft. Some don't like them, many aren't fussed either way... To say that "most" of the nerds hate them is silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerChicken wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
paniceolan wrote:

If it were a war game, it'd be chits. no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.