United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a session of Legends of the American Frontier with the Bounties expansion using my Westward Ho! solo rules.

In this game from designer Richard Launius you play a character living his or her life through the adventure of America's early development, starting at the end of the Revolutionary War. It's quite unique, and I quite like it: immersive, lots of history, nuanced interactions, clear mechanics, and absolutely gorgeous graphics.

For this game I've chosen to be Steven, and my opponents are Annie, Nathaniel and Jedediah (there are 10 available characters in the game). The first part of the game is the Upbringing Stage, in which you determine through card drafting what formative experiences you've had up to age 15. These will give you starting levels in 6 Skills: Personality, Knowledge, Fight, Frontier, Providence and Capitalism.

With my Upbringing card selections I decide to build Steven as a pretty tough hombre. How could he not be? Killing a bear at age 3, running off to drum for the Continental Army as an 8 year old, and then trapping through Appalachian mountain winters as a mere youth - can anyone say "Revenant"? To balance him out a little I have him head back to civilization for a couple of years to do a banking apprenticeship. But overall he starts off as a man of action, though I reckon he ain't got much in the way of people skills.

Nathaniel, a freed slave, appears destined for greatness. A young man of vision, he excels at his studies, and winds up matriculating at Harvard.

Annie's education, on the other hand, is mostly from the school of hard knocks. But even in childhood her gumption always seems to get her through. Her dad was kind of a shady character, and he set up his "innocent" daughter to sell some forgeries for a tidy sum. Nobody's found out about it so far . . .

Jedediah's childhood changed dramatically when he was kidnapped from his frontier home during an Indian raid. He grew up learning the ways of the land, but when he returned to the white man's world at first he didn't quite know what to do with himself. But by dint of his optimistic nature he managed to land an apprenticeship as a silversmith with none other than Paul Revere.

So these are the skill sets that my character and his three opponents will bring to the main part of the game, the Adventure Stage. In it they'll have their choice of which adventures to pursue in trying to wind up with the most significant lifetime of accomplishments.

(continued in Westward Ho! solo playthrough part 2: Adventures)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Dickens II
United States
Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to hearing about their adventures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.