United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(continued from Westward Ho! solo playthrough part 1: Upbringing)

Now it's time to find out what life has in store for us. Each character chooses which of the available Adventures on the board they'd like to attempt.

The Adventure cards have a threshold of Skill points (of the right type of skill) necessary to succeed in the Adventure. You have a hand dealt to you with various Skill cards, which you can combine with the Skill points on your Character Board and with additional cards drawn in a "Destiny Deal". If that total is at least as much as the threshold given on the Adventure card, then you've succeeded.

When you succeed, you get to keep that Adventure card - it becomes part of your character's story and gives you victory points. You can also earn Reward tokens of four types (status, wealth, fame and happiness) for completing Adventures, which can later be used to buy Reward cards (displayed along the bottom edge of the board) - some of which have victory points, others of which are helpful in other ways.

Some of the Skill cards have special effects that you can use instead of using them for their Skill points. There are also these cool metal pieces that look like a marshal's badge which are called True Grit tokens. These can be used to redraw cards on your Destiny Deal, or avoid the consequences of failed adventures.

If you do wind up failing an Adventure, you have to take a Failure card (in the Skill type required). There are a lot of these, with a great variety of different negative (mostly) effects. The Bounties expansion gives you the option of taking a Bounty card instead of a Failure card. The Bounty cards allow you to avoid negative consequences now, and for as long as your transgression remains unknown to the rest of the world. But if one of your opponents completes the corresponding Bounty Adventure, you're busted - you have to keep the Bounty card as part of your story, and absorb a 4 vp loss.

Nathaniel decides to stay Back East, attempting to be named the first Postmaster General.

Meanwhile, with my rootin' tootin' skill set, I aim to protect frontier settlers from the depredations of Indian renegades.

While my efforts bring me some status, fame and happiness, to succeed I've had to undergo hardship - in this case surviving a drought.

Annie heads out west to establish a large trading company.

While Jedediah opts to rest up, earning a True Grit token.

Annie uses her newly-acquired wealth and status from the success of her trading company to build a plantation in South Carolina.

On the next game turn, my character Steven competes with Annie to be the first to invent a practical steamboat.

Annie beats me to it - with some know-how, ingenuity, and more than a little luck, she develops the first successful steamboat.

My guy Steven's business calamities lead to his steamboat venture failing. There are reports that an old geezer was seen moving surprisingly fast away from the scene of the fire. Could it have been Annie's ne'er-do-well pa, doing his part to hobble his daughter's competition?

(continued in Westward Ho! solo playthrough part 3: more Adventures, and conclusion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.