Hide
6 Posts

Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: Building from towns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Some Guy
msg tools
Assuming it's not your first turn, can I start my link from a town?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes if it is a town you already have a link to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
msg tools
Okay. The rules kinda made it seem like I could just start building from any town even if I didn't have a link going to it. Thank you for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mugen80 wrote:
Okay. The rules kinda made it seem like I could just start building from any town even if I didn't have a link going to it. Thank you for clarifying.

I think you're confusing towns and cities. Towns are little white/gray circles, in the center of hexes. Thematically, when a town grows it becomes a city. In game terms, it urbanizes; the town is replaced by a new city marker which is bigger ... it goes all the way to the edges of the hex. The preprinted cities are, obviously, full hex sized while the new cities are represented by the colored city tiles.

I explain it this way because people often also get confused by track building. Many new players think if a track goes to the edge of a hex that has a town in it, the track is connected to the hex. It is not. The town is in the center of that hex, with a lot of green fields/pastures/whatever between the edge of town (that little circle) and the end of the track. Since cities extend to the hex side, tracks going to the hex side DO connect to the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
msg tools
Snooze, I could see how people would make that mistake. But I was referencing the ability to upgrade a random "town hex" with a "track town hex, then build out of the town with no other pre-existing links.

But it was clarified that I would need to have a link going to a town first in order to build out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Clarke
United Kingdom
Cranleigh
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you could do, of course, would be to upgrade the town to a city first using Urbanization - which you can do even if the town has not already been linked to. Then you (and indeed anyone else) could build track out of it without any pre-existing link to it, as you can always start a new line out of a city (assuming there is room to do so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.