GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 48.42
22.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left
Most game reviews seem to focus on the things the reviewer really likes, or really dislikes. Often, I want to read a review that tells me the potential deal breakers that are not masked by bias.
"The Worst Of It" reviews look at the worst parts of games I enjoy and how it impacts my enjoyment of it. I am not trying to balance the good with what can be improved, but want to give others a critical (and hopefully fun) look at what may be a deal breaker for them.
**For my first review, I thought it would be fun to look at one of my own designs. Other designers games will follow.**
La Piste is a 2 player fencing simulation! It uses cards to execute fencing moves. Two stand ups are used to show the fencers locations on the strip (la piste).
#Plays - Many
Components - The Worst Of It
1. Print and Play.
- Impact - 76 cards, a short strip, and 2 stand ups. Not a huge PnP.
2. 2-D stand ups.
- Impact - Stand ups can be Lego minifigs, or your favorite token.
3. Short on color.
- Impact - The amount of white is in line with the theme of fencing and is easy to print. However, this can make smudges obvious if you do not sleeve the cards.
4. Images are old and low definition.
- Impact - Images are from original fencing manuals from 100 years ago and invoke the theme. The low def is a result of this not being a professional game.
Rules - The Worst Of It
1. Rule book has to point out a few special rules.
- Impact - Cards hold most of the rules, but some more detail was needed at times. There is not much complexity here, so it seems a reasonable thing.
2. No graphics in the rule book.
- Impact - There is a little learning curve to make sure you understand the card anatomy before playing. Not a big deal to me since I designed it! Icons help.
Gameplay - The Worst Of It
1. On occasion, players can have a dead hand for a turn.
- Impact - There is a rule to refresh your hand easily. Plus, turns are very quick, so this is not a big impact. It would be great if I was able to balance every possible situation so each turn was a flurry of fencing fury!
2. Some choice and strategy, but sometimes dependent upon the occasional die roll and cards drawn.
- Impact - This is a light game, so I do not care that I cannot "master" it and a new player may actually beat me sometimes. The die roll that comes up on occasion can add some fun tension and is usually done by a players choice.
3. Games take a little longer than an actual 5 point fencing match.
- Impact - So it goes! At least you do not have to suit up and get all sweaty for a quick match.
Do not let the fact that it is a PnP turn you off. La Piste is a fun simulation of fencing that is a fairly easy PnP (and free). The turns get pretty fast paced sometimes with a lot of back and forth. As the designer, I am pleased with it. I would love to see actual figures, a box, and nice glossy rule book. But I did make a nice Printersstudio deck.
See my other "Worst Of It" reviews here:
- Last edited Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:34 pm (Total Number of Edits: 2)
- Posted Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:12 am