12 Posts

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Are Expansions compatible with New Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl T
msg tools
mb
Are the expansions compatible or even necessary with the 2nd Edition?

I'm about to jump in and noticed all the expansions for the first edition. As a bit of a completionist I'd like to buy it all at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions are definitely not necessary.

Pretty sure they are compatible. Only thing that might be affected is the cyber bunny/ cyber kitty monster, but I honestly believe the power up expansion was not affected by the change.

Any other changes I'm fairly certain will not affect the expansions in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Up: I would STRONGLY suggest waiting for the 2nd edition. Because Cyber Bunny and Kraken were replaced in the base game, you will only have correct power ups for 4/6 monsters if you get the 1st edition. Also the 2nd edition will have a second set of powers for all the monsters to use with King of New York so if you decide you want those in the future, you will have to buy the 2nd edition of Power Up anyway.

Halloween: They have said they will probably not make a 2nd edition of this. The monsters and their powers are compatible, but the costume cards will not have matching backs for 2nd edition so you will be able to tell them apart in the deck. They said they will release some sleeves to handle this issue so its up to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Cardbacks have been changed but this does not affect powerup. What does affect it, however, are the new monsters as stated above. Conversely, Halloween is affected by the card back change but adds new monsters rather than affecting old ones. Neither is fully compatible with the second edition.

For Halloween, this problem is solved by card sleaves.

For Powerup, I have no idea. I don't think we've seen an evidence of a 2nd Ed KoT Powerup yet, only a 2nd Ed King of New York Powerup that will allow the 2nd Ed King of New York characters to have evolutions in either base game. Whether it will be compatible with 1st Ed KoNY I can't say but it will definitely be compatible with 1st Ed KoT if you also have 2nd Ed KoNY.

Also, Baby Gigazaur is only debatably compatible with Powerup so it's your call on the Target version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dracomageat wrote:
For Powerup, I have no idea. I don't think we've seen an evidence of a 2nd Ed KoT Powerup yet, only a 2nd Ed King of New York Powerup that will allow the 2nd Ed King of Tokyo characters to have evolutions in either base game. Whether it will be compatible with 1st Ed KoNY I can't say but it will definitely be compatible with 1st Ed KoT if you also have 2nd Ed KoNY.

This is full of misinformation.

The upcoming King of New York: Power Up will only feature powers for the King of New York monsters. There is only one edition of that game so there is no edition compatability issues there. That expansion will have a set for KoNY monsters to be used in KoNY and another for them to be used in KoT.

The 2nd edition of King of Tokyo: Power Up has been officially confirmed here. The response also says that the new edition will feature power ups for the KoT monsters to be used in KoNY as I discussed in my previous response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Second half I didn't know, first half I mixed up the names a little when typing, have fixed that now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dracomageat wrote:
Second half I didn't know, first half I mixed up the names a little when typing, have fixed that now.

In that post you're still talking about "Second Edition KoNY", which I have never heard of. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I want to get this straight.

So King of New York products will not have new editions?

I just entered this game series, with the New Edition of King of Tokyo. I'd like to get more content eventually. Is there any reason to expect new editions for all the previous releases, or is it just the King of Tokyo Power Up Pack that will be rereleased, and then it's fully compatible with King of New York, AND no 2nd edition coming any time soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
I want to get this straight.

So King of New York products will not have new editions?

I just entered this game series, with the New Edition of King of Tokyo. I'd like to get more content eventually. Is there any reason to expect new editions for all the previous releases, or is it just the King of Tokyo Power Up Pack that will be rereleased, and then it's fully compatible with King of New York, AND no 2nd edition coming any time soon?
King of Tokyo was updated for 3 primary reasons: 1.) legal issues regarding cyber bunny required that the character be removed from the game and artwork (such as the card backs), 2.) the artwork of the 1st edition was by a different artist than the expansions and all of King of New York, 3.) they were already going to release an app which featured updated King of Tokyo art.

King of New York on the other hand already has the art by the current artist and matches the app so assuming there isn't any legal issues with the characters there isn't really any reason to expect an updated edition anytime soon.

The King of Tokyo Power Up will be updated to match the new characters and allow KoT characters to be used in New York. Currently they have said they have no plans to reissue/update the Halloween expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great, so I'm good to pick up New York and the new NY expansion, yeah?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Great, so I'm good to pick up New York and the new NY expansion, yeah?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
Media & Public Relations at IELLO France
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything Richard said is true (thanks! ), with one small update: while nothing is confirmed yet, we're currently considering the release of an updated version of the Halloween collector pack. It would probably just be a small update, since Régis was already the artist on this expoansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.