Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, new player here... just did my first mission, "Artificial Satellite". Now, my common sense and my life-long knowledge informs me that, that's it.
I.e., the probe stays in orbit for the remainder of the game, correct?

So upon completing the mission, I simply return the ship token to its ship card and discard the probe component card? (After all, I'll never get the probe back). I'm sorry for being dense, but other than applying common sense, I couldn't glean from the rulebook where it explicitly says to do this housekeeping action. I've read every page of the rulebook, but still may've missed a paragraph that discusses "End of Turn Housekeeping".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple things that answer your question but apply to other situations as well:

1. Any component can be considered a spacecraft, including a single probe card or a sample card.

2. Some locations have a "LOST!" maneuver on them that costs 0. If a spacecraft is at this location at the end of the year, it is removed from the game and discarded.

3. You could make any maneuver that was zero difficulty without thrust, for example Earth Orbit to Earth. Be sure to check for other hazards like Re-Entry or Landing. If the hazard is in parenthesis (as is the Landing hazard in the case of Earth Orbit to Earth, the hazard is optional; useful if you are testing Advancements, but not necessary to encounter if you do not have the Advancement.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm relatively new as well, so maybe someone will correct me, buuuut...

I believe you can freely discard all the cards and return the token, as you have been doing. But you could also leave the probe on the ship card (and the associated token out on the board) and pick it up again later (with the rendezvous action, I think it's called) to take with you on another mission. You already went through all the trouble of putting it up there. Might as well keep on using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:
I.e., the probe stays in orbit for the remainder of the game, correct?

So upon completing the mission, I simply return the ship token to its ship card and discard the probe component card? (After all, I'll never get the probe back).
None of the missions require anything to be discarded. For Artificial Satellite all that is needed is simply having a probe in Earth Orbit: as soon as it arrives the missions is comleted. Although you could do as you suggest, the probe does not need to remain in orbit: it may be returned to Earth, sent off to further places, sold to another player, used to test rendezvous, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

rmanning wrote:
...the probe does not need to remain in orbit: it may be returned to Earth, ...

Uhhh...

After reading the rulebook (and highlighting it) twice, I would never of gleaned this! I was working off the assumption that only components with heat shields can survive reentry.

But upon reading your post, I re-read page 25, and sure enough, it does indeed say that, "All other components are unaffected by atmospheric reentry."

I'll be.

Ok, so what next... just consider the probe as fallen back to Earth, since the Earth Orbit to Earth maneuver has a "0" difficulty? (You see, it's answers to questions such as I asked in this sentence, that I'm having trouble piecing together just by reading the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Court
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
gar0u wrote:
2. Some locations have a "LOST!" maneuver on them that costs 0. If a spacecraft is at this location at the end of the year, it is removed from the game and discarded.

Actually, an automatic maneuver happens at the end of your turn, not the end of the year:

Quote:
P.23 If a spacecraft of yours is in a location with an
automatic maneuver at the end of your turn, it performs that maneuver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Ok, so what next... just consider the probe as fallen back to Earth, since the Earth Orbit to Earth maneuver has a "0" difficulty? (You see, it's answers to questions such as I asked in this sentence, that I'm having trouble piecing together just by reading the rules).

If you choose to do nothing the probe will remain in Earth orbit for the rest of the game. You can choose to return it to Earth, since a 0 difficulty maneuver requires 0 thrust. If you leave it in Earth orbit you can later use the rendezvous maneuver to attach the probe to another ship.

Another reason to leave the probe in Earth orbit is this: Later if you want to test the Landing maneuver you can optionally test landing as the probe returns to Earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

RingelTree wrote:
If you choose to do nothing the probe will remain in Earth orbit for the rest of the game. You can choose to return it to Earth, since a 0 difficulty maneuver requires 0 thrust. If you leave it in Earth orbit you can later use the rendezvous maneuver to attach the probe to another ship.

Another reason to leave the probe in Earth orbit is this: Later if you want to test the Landing maneuver you can optionally test landing as the probe returns to Earth.

Perfect! Thanks. I just don't know how I didn't draw that same conclusion when I read the rulebook. Guess I'll have to go back to college!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Just to answer your concrete question. With a space ship consisting of a single probe in earth orbit, you can do one of three things:

- leave it there for later use
- maneuver it to earth
- discard it, because you anticipate not to need it any more (I am not sure this is in the official rules, but I often times play with discarding stuff you do not need any further, to keep the board clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.