Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » General

Subject: 76th Self Propelled Field Artillery Battalion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
There has been more than a few confused inquiries into the 76th FA Bn sporting its 3rd Army Patch and landing on the VII Corps Utah beach. A bit of research uncovered what I believe is the reason behind this; "On 14 February 1944, the 76th Field Artillery Battalion was redesignated as VII Corps Artillery."

As a "Redesignated" and not an attached or reassigned unit should it not be sporting the VII Corps patch?

It should be noted this unit only belonged to the 3rd Army as a California National Guard Unit before and again after the war home based at Camp San Luis Obispo.

Ref:
Order of Battle, US Army, 1919-1941; Steven E. Clay, Combat Studies Institute, US Army, 2010
Order of Battle, US Army, World War II, Shelby Stanton, 1994

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just always assumed it was an errata and considered it a 1st Army unit.

Nice bit of research.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
Joey

Good information and yes based on that, it should have been shown with a different patch, although Joe Youst may have other information.

In reality it makes no difference to game play as the higher HQ designation doesn't require a corps/army unit to be assigned to that HQ. (see below).

9.1.0 Assignment
The concept of assignment simulates the military chain of command. In general, smaller units are assigned to larger units.
• Units are assigned to sub-formations or formations.
• Sub-formations are assigned to formations or directly to a corps/army.
• Formations are assigned to corps/army.
• Corps are assigned to armies.
Assignments are initially established by scenario rules. Within certain limits, players may change assignments, or make new ones during the Command Segment of the Command Phase. In most games, units that were assigned as corps or army asset units are noted with a corps or army name. These designations are for historical purposes only. Unless stated otherwise, players are free to assign these units to any available corps or army HQ.
Note: When changing assignments, players should understand that, when large numbers of subordinate units are assigned to an HQ, that HQ becomes less efficient in providing logistics support to its units (9.5.0 and 15.3.0).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was just curious of the oddity of the unit and couldn't help myself. I find that understanding the methods behind the madness clarifies a great deal as to why things happened the way they did.

Seems these Corps & Army artillery battalions were supplied and supported by assigning them to Artillery Groups. These "Groups" were independent assignments for mainly logistics purposes as their mission orders usually went to the individual artillery battalions. This is how the independent armor and AT units function as well. For example, the 70th Armor Battalion may be assigned to the 4th I.D and gets its orders from the 4th Division command tent but it gets its replacements, rations, ammo and mail from the 6th Armor Regimental command it actually belongs to. It makes sense too when you think about it and begin to ask questions like, how would an infantry division have access to tanks and tank ammo? Their service trains (the mechanics) come from the 6th Armor Regiment as well. Essentially the 70th (and all those other independent AA, Art, Arm, & AT units) have their radios tuned into two frequencies at all times; one that monitors their attached assignment HQ and one that communicates with their own actual Regiment or group.

I happen to know first hand that assigning more units to a military HQ then it's designed to handle can easily turn 8 to 12 hour days into 15 to 20 hour days with many unhappy commanders.

Edits: Spelling and grammer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson

California
msg tools
I am the same way, always reading and researching for the "why and how did that work?"

Of course that is one of the confusing issues about orders of battle, trying to figure out the command structures and what role some of them played when accounts talk about organizations that existed for "admin" purposes.

Helps to have military experience at times as is makes more sense when you know how it works from first hand experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.