Hide
5 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Solo Question? Is there a Solo Ai bot situation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geromino Pares
msg tools
So how does the solo version of this game play out??? Is there a bot? or do I play both sides??!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent version of the game provided an AI flowchart called ERASMUS. Written by Mark Herman.

Otherwise you have to play with open hands, right hand against the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
You vs You is one of the best ways to learn this game. It will force you to be aware of all the bad things the other side can do to interfere with your operations. I usually drew the cards for whoever was moving second after planning player one's first operation of the turn which gives you a little of the flavor of a real game.

John Steidl's videos on this forum are the other best learning tool I've found. They will get you up to speed on how to play and he explains a lot about why he moves and attacks the way he does.

It's a great game, but does have a steep learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian DiLuzio
United States
Andover
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game beyond frustrating to learn with ERASMUS. I suggest you play in 1942 and read Empire of the Sun Japanese Opening Theory and Practices. This was my ERASMUS Lite and it helped me learn the game first and what ERASMUS is trying to do.

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/wp-content/uploads/20...

Follow the 7 strategies on page 6 for Japan. Don't worry about what ERASMUS covers with Task Forces and how many Combat Factors you need. Focus on learning activations, supplies and combat procedures. Then ERASMUS begins to make sense and then you can dive into it.

This is an amazing game. I was so excited to get it and tried to play it for over a month and put it away. I was determined this year to learn it and it has taken a lot of time and energy (this is not an easy game) but has been worth it.

If you're considering getting it, I would highly recommend doing so, but ignore ERASMUS until you feel like you know when you can move units and how they move and why you'll be moving them. Once there, ERASMUS will make much more sense and will be a good bot to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree Erasmus assumes you know the system mechanics/effects.

I found the various videos helpful to those overall concepts and have been patiently working through the game, for quite a while now. I enjoy the analysis of objectives based operations which I think is really the heart of each card play. I observe from the seasoned pros that with time each card play value becomes immediately obvious and for the beginners it is just part of learning to swim.

I value Erasmus like you said, guidance for what is generally intended but not necessarily optimized learning for the situation at hand like a puzzle to be solved. It's pretty cool how EOTS integrates so many aspects of the Pacific theater concerns so you're never comfortable as either side in the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.