Space Empires: 4X» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: SE4X 2P Random Tournament 2016: Final game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sergio Puente
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so after five months, three different setups, and 14 games, we finally have our two finalists:

Don Roberts and Edward Vena!

Final game will be played in a 2P Normal map, standard victory conditions, and with the following rules:

MS Pipelines
Cloaking and Scanners
Instant Technology upgrade
Black Hole Sling Shot
Doomsday Machines
30CP Homeworlds
Experience and Academies
Titans
Reaction movement
Transports, Ground combat and capturing colonies
Flagships
Terraforming nebulae
Safer space
Rich minerals
Smart scientists

It is going to be an interesting game, with ground troops hitting the table for the first time in the tournament.

I let the thread to the finalists, who will comment anything they want about their game. I'm sure everybody (both participants and non-participants) will learn a lot from them!

Good luck and have fun!

Sergio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McKerron
South Korea
Gyeong Ju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even know there was a SE tourney on. Where have I been? are you starting another up any time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Hey guys - just wanted to chime in as one of the finalists here.

Don and I are at start of Round 5, I just finished my turn 1. It certainly a fast game so far as it's a normal map, along with the Rich Minerals, Safer Space! and Smart Scientists variants. Oh, and Instant Technology upgrade - I don't usually play with the last and forgot how quick it makes the game. I've currently got 2 SCs deep in Don's territory trying to (fruitlessly so far) finish of a brand new colony before it grows too large. More to follow....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb
If you're on Vassal can you post pics of the turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Gwal wrote:
If you're on Vassal can you post pics of the turns.

Yep, good point. Just hoping my opponent doesn't go looking! ninja

Here's the latest pic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Roberts
United States
Albion
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the pic from my side (If I can figure this out, it's hard to do without accidentally peeking).

This game is going to go fast. The board is much smaller than the others in the tourney. I've got Jean Luc Picard on a hail Mary mission deep in the enemy territory.

Every game in the tourney has had Instant Upgrade, which reduces the amount of strategy (IMHO) I can buff ships as I need to. For instance, I add Fast BC's this turn so I can dodge with the Enterprise a little better. It makes things like Raiders and even Fighters (which we don't have) worth less since the enemy can instantly respond to them.

One thing I have to be really careful with is that Ed understands the retreat rule very well. There are some almost game-breaking maneuvers that can be pulled off if you have colonies that are substantially far forward, especially to the far right or left of the board...

don

P.S. The answer to most questions of the form "Why didn't you..." is probably, I didn't see it or think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Puente
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris McKerron wrote:
I didn't even know there was a SE tourney on. Where have I been? are you starting another up any time?

Hi Chris, a new tournament will start in late September, this time 3 or 4 players per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
nethack wrote:
This game is going to go fast. The board is much smaller than the others in the tourney. I've got Jean Luc Picard on a hail Mary mission deep in the enemy territory.

This game did indeed go quickly as it is now over. Picard and his filthy Federation scum have been purged of the Gamma quadrant. angry The glorious yellow empire has carried the day on the strength of it's heavily armored CA fleet, led by the heroic actions of it's Flagship Argo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Ed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Roberts
United States
Albion
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You neglected to point out your underhanded use of the Kobayashi Maru (Miner-1) to block the retreat path of the of the Enterprise. Using civilians as shields like that is reprehensible and shall not be soon forgotten...

don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
nethack wrote:
You neglected to point out your underhanded use of the Kobayashi Maru (Miner-1) to block the retreat path of the of the Enterprise. Using civilians as shields like that is reprehensible and shall not be soon forgotten...

don

Ah ha, while I caught you unaware with that move you now know the subtleties of preparing for retreats. cool As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of the base game retreats - my group and I usually use slightly modified house rules. But when using the base rules you have to be on your toes. Sometimes setting traps for ships so that you can set them up for "no retreat option" battles is risky but can pay off big.

ie, if you had won that battle between Enterprise I would have lost at least 1 early CA if not 2. Also, you would have been able to decimate (Miner-1) that was hooked up to minerals already, or unblocked access to colonies for bombardment / blockading. But by using the colony, Miner and Decoy I was able to force you into a no retreat scenario. laugh But now you know and isn't that half the battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Roberts
United States
Albion
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I say "not be soon forgotten", I mean "I will not forget to use that tactic in the future"

don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.