Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Out of Coins/Ressources? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Just played a few games, but wondered if it ever happens that someone runs out of (realistic) coins/resources? I just ask, because I trapped myself think "Buy another set - just in case", and wanted to know if one ever got into the situation, when there are not enough of them (and using e.g. the cardboard coins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have played a 5p game and I can tell that run out of resources is not an issue. Maybe you can run out of coins during the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are +3 tokens for the resources. So if someone has 4 or more of the same resource in a territory, they can remove 3 of them and place the +3 token of that type in that territory.

I have played 1 5 player and 5 3 player games and have never run out of anything yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I know the +3/+7 tokens, and if the metal coins ran out, I still have the cardboard coins. Was just looking for a reason to justify the buy of another realistic resource/metal coin set (esp. with 7 players add on in mind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I clicked wondering how you could possible have run out if there are the same number as there are wooden ones in other editions!

So I wouldn't worry.

But, hey, you could always use them in another game... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Edwards
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I can't see running out of coins unless 5 players were all specifically trying to maximize their scores (by gaining coins) and not end the game.
It might be a little easier to run out in a game with the expansion and more than five players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For coins, you can pre-order the expansion to get $50 metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus: That was once true, but I decided just to make one version of the expansion, and that version doesn't have any metal coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Marcus: That was once true, but I decided just to make one version of the expansion, and that version doesn't have any metal coins.

Nuts! Are the $50 coins still being made (for sale on BGG for example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We might make them as a promo at some point if there's enough interest: http://goo.gl/forms/I9a5cp2gp86qEfu83
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
weasel47 wrote:
I can't see running out of coins unless 5 players were all specifically trying to maximize their scores (by gaining coins) and not end the game.
It might be a little easier to run out in a game with the expansion and more than five players...

I had up to now only 5 player games. With a total of 495$, it is indeed very unlikely that you run out of money, but what always happen sooner or later at our games, is that when player get coins, they have to "call for money exchange" - i.e. coins of a specific size are not available, and others are enforced to change. As already said, its a "first world" problem (esp. with the cardboard coins as backups) and when the add on arrives and no metallic coins are available, I think I would first try real money (the Euro 50-Cent Coin, a little bit small for the value, but thicker).

Regarding the realistic resources I can see it more likely happen you run out of them (when you not want to use the card board). In one of our 5 player games one got the "9+ Resource" objective and collected 12, while the others run short of tokens (yes the +7 chip worked, its just not so nice ;-).

So I guess, I will order additional sets of them (if/when available) ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.