Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unachievable achievement? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danni Börm
Denmark
flag msg tools
The rules for declaring the winning (page 29) says:

"The WINNER of the game may write THEIR name up to 2 times on the achievement sheet to memorialise their victory. This document commemorates the first time any player WINS under a CERTAIN CONDITION."

I find 2 problems with this.

1) The 4th achievement:
"The first players to place all 6 stars but NOT win." This is unachievable, since the person given the option to claim it DID win.

I suspect the "NOT" is misplaced and the intended achievement should be "The first players to NOT place all 6 stars but win.", since that WOULD be an achievement worth claming. This will be my houserule.

2)The 6th achievement:
"The first winners each year." If the first winner of 2016 choose NOT to claim this achievement, how could it ever be claimed?

Actually, come to think of it, this is true for almost all achievements. How can you claim first Rusviet victory, when you know Rusviet won the last game also, but just didn't claim it?

I guess my houserule will be to read all achievements as "The first CLAIMED winner..."

Thoughts?

(Will be playing my first Scythe game in one hour and looking forward to it )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fully possible to place your 6th star and not win..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:

Yes, but he's saying the achievements are for winners, so the Winner who placed the 6 star and didn't win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I was wondering that myself. How do you sign that as the loser that placed the Sixth star when only winners are able to sign the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Helmer
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think everybody is really overthinking this we found it hillarious, and yes only someone who fails to win gets to sign this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
11 of the achievements are for the person who won the game to choose from. 1 of the achievements (place the 6th star but not win) is for the other players. You're right, I could have switched it around, but I thought it would be more interesting this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The act of achieving is defined as "to bring about an intended result; accomplish some purpose or effect."

This does not imply winning...only accomplishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Börm
Denmark
flag msg tools
Well, I think that takes something away from the achievement sheet idea, adding a hall of shame to the hall of heroes. I am going to use it to record heroes that won against the odds of not closing the game. That's a much better achievement

By the way, we played the first game today. 3 players. White, Yellow and Blue. Yellow (with patriotic) won by a large margin with 112 coins. It seems that a steady supply of combat cards combined with yellows ability is very strong. Almost every round a card was used as a resource. Also, Enlisting is very powerful in a 3 player game. 2 players enlisted all 4 recruits fast and it was clear that it was this that made the last player get left behind.

Everyone loved the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C.
United States
Everett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm inclined to say just allow players to claim any number achievements that they qualify for, as a house rule. If someone manages to achieve 3+ in a game then more power to him/her, imo.

But yeah, kind of overthinking what's supposed to be a fun bonus addition to the game.
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Leeson
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We had someone earn the mark of shame in our second-ever game, yesterday.
After I ran away with game #1 my two friends got their heads around some of the strategy and we had a very competitive game #2. For quite a while we were all at 4 stars, then a friend pulled ahead with 5.

I was working towards maxing out Popularity for my 5th star, but was actually a bit stalled out and nowhere super close to getting #6 after that. She panicked and decided to rush to end the game before I could catch up, starting a combat with our other friend and winning, taking a combat star and ending it.

The problem was, she was at 7 popularity when she attacked him, and he had a worker present, dropping her to 6 popularity and into the lowest tier. He was in the middle tier for popularity, and I was near the stop. She wound up scoring 18 points for her 6 stars, while I got 20 for my 4.

Despite the game being razor thin, she wound up in last place because she underestimated just how badly we'd outscore her with higher levels of popularity. She did get to put her name in the book as compensation, though.

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:

Yup. My son did that on our very first session with the real copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Yelmac wrote:
I'm inclined to say just allow players to claim any number achievements that they qualify for, as a house rule. If someone manages to achieve 3+ in a game then more power to him/her, imo.

I think the trouble with that is the first player to win a game with the set - at all - would get to sweep a fair chunk of the sheet automatically, quite possibly in a game where everyone is figuring out how to play.

As it happens this just happened to me [1] and I didn't feel hard done by with only getting to deface the sheet twice.

[1] Nordics; swam across, got my workers out early, which helped, but I think what really swung it was realising the last few stars could come out very quickly and I'd better arrange to be in a higher popularity bracket than everyone else when they did, then blitzing two stars on my last turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
jonocop wrote:
The act of achieving is defined as "to bring about an intended result; accomplish some purpose or effect."

This does not imply winning...only accomplishing.

Why are you arguing definitions and implications, when he posted a section of rules that define what he's talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It makes perfect sense to me. Nowhere on the sheet other than the achievement titles does it say for winners. I'd in fact have quite liked to see an achievement for 1st person of each faction to gain 3+ stars in a single turn. Would require a bit of set up, but would be something to go for (and of course, does not require winning, but it does help).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.