Empire of the Sun» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Struggling for Rangoon in turn 3 with Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Has_hecho_trampas Has_hecho_trampas
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi,

I am playing the campaing starting from 1942.

In the second turn (first of the scenario) I managed to neutralize the DEI, and taken the Australian Mandates and Lae (3822). I left Manila, Singapur HQ OOS so they would be easy targets for the next turn.

I attack Rangoon without success with an OPS card hopping to let it without of AZOI. Luckly it could have been worse for Japan.

I kept my losses low, because I tried to play conservative, but in the last turn, in which I could have taken Port Moresby, but I didn t.

I did all of that with 3 military cards (of of 4). 3 given by the Optional rules.

Now (turn 3) my hand is awnful, I just have 2 military cards, one saved from previous turn, the other is and improuved escolt...like a 2 Ops.

I lack of airfields and the UK placed an indian corps in Rangoon with overwhelming air and naval power.

What can I do just to conquer Rangoon? For me It seems imposible without heavy losses and good luck. Next turn british reinforcements will arrive and it will imposible to be done.

I will appreciate any advice.

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Riepenhausen
Germany
Oberkochen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal opinion is that Rangoon is worth losing many steps. Taking it becomes more and more difficult so the earlier the better. That said you should only attempt it if you have a decent chance of it actually happening in the turn and that depends heavily on your cards.

Of course, you also need to consilidate your holdings on New Guinea, so that the Allies can't easily get a good base there. But again: Personally I feel Rangoon is more important than New Guinea. Japan should always invest 3 full strength armies into the CBI. The timing is difficult though. Sometimes you can still take it in turn 4 or 5. One thing to consider is the supply situation of Rangoon: If you can somehow keep allied air units out of Rangoon, Rangoon loses it's sea access (assuming you have an air unit in Bangkok) and that cuts the Burma road at the beginning of the game (assuming no hump yet) and that puts Rangoon out of supply.

Frank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.