Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reading the rules and wanted to get a group together to play, but I wanted to let them know how long it might take to get through our first game. I have never played the game. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very difficult to say how long a game might last. You play 4 rounds and each round will end once the article up for vote either receives 7 'yes' or 6 'no' votes. So a round could end very quickly if the only thing players do is vote (quicker if all the votes are the same), or a round could go on for a bit if there are conflicting votes, debate track battles, and if cards are played for events.

In my experience you'll have rounds over very quickly (especially if George Washington is played for his event) and others will last considerably longer as players manipulate the floor to their advantage.

To answer your question, I would say 90-120 minutes would be a good estimate for 4 or 5 new players.

I find a good teaching method to be to explain that the object is to score the most points, describe the ways you score points, stress the debate track bonuses well, as these typically will determine the winner. The game can be confusing for new players, so tell them how a turn works: You can do ONE of FOUR basic actions on your turn. That's it. Just pick one of four possible actions. Then go into what those are.

Have fun - Great game!

Edit- grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also guess about 2 hours for five players with little experience with the game.

But the point above is quite right: the length of rounds can be quite variable, so it's hard to make a perfect prediction. When my group plays it, we normally play two games of it in the same evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.