Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Scythe last night and it was a pleasantly intuitive affair without much need to look up any rules. There was one though, a very minor niggle and a very special case on top of that that we quickly houseruled by mutual agreement, but I'd love to hear an official ruling on this. So here it goes:

If I have the Speed+1 mech deployed and therefore all of my mechs and my character may move an additional space per activation, can I start moving one mech a space, move another mech and then continue to move the first one? On most occasions there's no need for a ruling, because there's nothing that could change during your movements, so the sequence shouldn't matter, but we found it to be a necessary ruling concerning the Saxon's "Underpass"-ability (and possibly the Rusviet's "Township" ability, but Rusviet wasn't part of that game), because the Saxon player could use it to move a mech onto a mountain, taking control of it with his first step of his first movement, afterwards moving a second mech across half the map from another "connected" mountain and afterwards move both of those to the same territory adjacent to their position. So... does activating a second unit end your first movement? Or can you do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Underpass ability (and by extension the Rusviet Township ability) have been discussed before, and the official ruling is that you must control the required space at the start of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You must complete each unit's movement before moving another unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The Underpass ability (and by extension the Rusviet Township ability) have been discussed before, and the official ruling is that you must control the required space at the start of your turn.
Jamey's answer in this thread begs to differ, but that's beside the point because that wasn't even the question to begin with.

jameystegmaier wrote:
You must complete each unit's movement before moving another unit.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. Too bad, because that would have been a great, sneaky move, but oh well, rules are rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

This is not true.

jameystegmaier wrote:
"If I'm Saxony (Black) with the "Underpass" upgrade, also have the "Speed" upgrade (+1 hex Movement) and Move a Mech onto an unoccupied Mountain, can I then use my additional "Speed" Movement to Move that same Mech from that Mountain to a Tunnel?

--Yes. You move each unit one at a time, so you could definitely do this.

This does beg the question, though, whether "mid-Movement-Action" Control is valid Underpass Control. For example, if I move a Worker 1 space onto a Mountain, can I then use that Mountain as an Underpass destination, for my Mech which I Move that same turn, with the 2nd half of my Movement action?

--Yes, same answer as above.

So, for clarity, you must move each unit completely before moving another unit, but you do not need to control a hex at the beginning of your turn to use underpass or township, it is enough to land on a hex mid-move to consider it controlled.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C.
United States
Everett
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
it is enough to land on a hex mid-move to consider it controlled.

If we want to get technical, you must control the hex before moving the unit you want to move, in order to use Underpass or Township in this way. You (obviously) need to have a unit (or building, if its hex is otherwise empty) in a hex, to Control it.

Also, any sort of contested hex doesn't qualify as "Control." Once all your units are moved, for your Move Action, then Workers are scared away (if possible) and any Combats are resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelmac wrote:

If we want to get technical, you must control the hex before moving the unit you want to move, in order to use Underpass or Township in this way. You (obviously) need to have a unit (or building, if its hex is otherwise empty) in a hex, to Control it.

You don't have to have control of the territory before you start your first move action. If you have speed or are using the factory move action to move two territories with one mech or character, after moving that unit to it's first hex, you then control that hex, and thus can move elsewhere accordingly normally or based on special ability.

So yes, it is enough to land on the hex mid-move to consider it controlled.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23244336#23244336
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yelmac wrote:

For clarity, the hex you are moving from is considered controlled even if you entered it mid-move, the hex you are using the underpass or township ability to move to must be controlled before you land there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.