Hide
1 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » Variants

Subject: Invader and Partisan Card Changes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mus Rattus
msg tools
After playing some games with the Invader cards, and reading the posts in these forums about them, it was my opinion that a few of them were far more powerful than the others. The cards were quite fun in general, and new players I introduced the game to always wanted to try them.

In general, I don't think the cards are very powerful on average. As the US, I would breathe a sigh of relief whenever I saw the invaders drawing cards in the opening turns. However, Reinforcements, Blinding the American Eye, and Washington is Burning are really far above the rest. Every game I lost as the US, I lost on the turn that one of those last two were played.

So I tried the following house rules:
-Reinforcements: May be used to return the specified number of non-aircraft units to the invader's reserves.
-Blinding the American Eye: Play after the US has designated laser targets. This turn, lasers do not affect the Southern Invader's units.
-Washington is Burning: This turn, partisan cards cannot affect the Eastern Invader's units, or territories that the Eastern Invader controls.

In the end, it came down (as it often does) to taking back one last city, on the tenth turn. And I (the US) lost. It was fun. I think reinforcements might need to be removed entirely. They really go against the spirit of the game (US trying to wear the invaders out).

Now I'm thinking that there are some Partisan cards that might deserve changes, being outliers in terms of power.
Major Airlift seems way too good, I had to read it multiple times to believe what I was seeing.
OTOH, the cards affecting mineral regions and oil regions are almost worthless.
The cards that gives you a laser in Colorado Springs, and the "clear weather" card are also of questionable utility, but probably balanced.

I'll try to think of ways that the other Invader cards can be elevated in usefulness. Any suggestions for that or if any Partisan cards deserve changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.