Support:

Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
'Obvious' is the most dangerous word in mathematics. Eric Temple Bell
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming that a game new in shrink with no damage is 100% of market value, what percentage of market value would you assign to a game with the following conditions:

1) Opened, like new

2) Opened, normal wear and tear (box corners whitening, etc.)

I realize that worth is relative to how much you want/don't want the game, so, remove that from your process. Just a cold, heartless assessment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm currently at 80/60, but, I was just curious how other people assessed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never (too subjective)/50

But then I auction anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think people value differently based on where nice boxes are important to them. I usually only care about completeness, condition of components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OOP or available on Amazon/CSI matters, too. Prices for OOP are a different ballgame.

When I'm shopping, someone nearby who charges actual shipping factors in for me. I might be willing to do 75-80% on an opened game, if they were nearby and charged actual, discounted shipping, as long as that was still a few dollars less than ordering from Amazon with Prime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
OOP or available on Amazon/CSI matters, too. Prices for OOP are a different ballgame.

When I'm shopping, someone nearby who charges actual shipping factors in for me. I might be willing to do 75-80% on an opened game, if they were nearby and charged actual, discounted shipping, as long as that was still a few dollars less than ordering from Amazon with Prime.

Let's assume there's no shipping. Also, regardless of OOP or otherwise, you personally have a value for the game unopened.

What percentage of your personal value for a new game would you apply to the game if it was opened but everything was intact?

How much value does the game lose once it has been 'driven off the lot'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's OOP, I don't think it loses much if it's opened like new. In some cases, it might even be a bonus, because all pieces can be verified, or you know if there was an issue with miscuts, etc. If someone wants an in shrink gift, they may not get it, but more most people buying it for themselves to play it, I don't think it has much effect.

For more played condition, it may bring it down into affordable range, but even some shelf wear could reach 70-80%.

For things readily available, in my experience from holding auctions, shelf wear will put something in the 50% range, and good condition bumps it a little, to the 65-75% range.

When pricing things, I try to make it under the marketplace listings, and at least $12 under CSI/Amazon Prime prices. If it was going to be a local pickup, I'd probably shoot for good condition $5-6 under CSI/Amazon (they're saving shipping and possible tax), shelf wear less, depending on condition.

$50 game
$38 CSI/Amazon
$22-26 opened like new
$18-22 shelf wear/played

$50 game OOP hard to find, going for $60-70 in shrink
$54-58ish opened like new (possibly a little more, if rare, verified, etc)
$45-52ish shelf wear (possibly a little more)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Keen
United States
Keenes
Il
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
If it's OOP, I don't think it loses much if it's opened like new. In some cases, it might even be a bonus, because all pieces can be verified, or you know if there was an issue with miscuts, etc. If someone wants an in shrink gift, they may not get it, but more most people buying it for themselves to play it, I don't think it has much effect.

For more played condition, it may bring it down into affordable range, but even some shelf wear could reach 70-80%.

For things readily available, in my experience from holding auctions, shelf wear will put something in the 50% range, and good condition bumps it a little, to the 65-75% range.

When pricing things, I try to make it under the marketplace listings, and at least $12 under CSI/Amazon Prime prices. If it was going to be a local pickup, I'd probably shoot for good condition $5-6 under CSI/Amazon (they're saving shipping and possible tax), shelf wear less, depending on condition.

$50 game
$38 CSI/Amazon
$22-26 opened like new
$18-22 shelf wear/played

$50 game OOP hard to find, going for $60-70 in shrink
$54-58ish opened like new (possibly a little more, if rare, verified, etc)
$45-52ish shelf wear (possibly a little more)

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on demand. If high, then obviously this will sell higher than original cost.

The market changes so quickly on games that there is no quick application factor to apply. Each game's price is unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can tell most folks list like new games right around OLGS prices. We have a pretty active no-ship flea market here in Portland, and most things seem to sell for just under CSI prices.

So for me:
Like new/Very Good = just under OLGS price
Good = 20% under OLGS price

Trading is a tricky business. Coming up with such a rubric is a good place to start, but each party's personal feelings/prejudices/peculiarities quickly become a factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee Whiz wrote:
Trading is a tricky business. Coming up with such a rubric is a good place to start, but each party's personal feelings/prejudices/peculiarities quickly become a factor.

This is a terrific observation: everyone values the games in their collection differently, and for a variety of reasons.

In proposing (or counter-proposing) a trade, I do make note that I attempted to find what seems like a good balance (I have even explained my approach, when the proposal may seem "out there") and that I'm happy to negotiate further to see if we can find a happy medium.

You just never know. May as well have fun with the process and give it your best shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Gee Whiz wrote:

This is a terrific observation: everyone values the games in their collection differently, and for a variety of reasons.

In proposing (or counter-proposing) a trade, I do make note that I attempted to find what seems like a good balance (I have even explained my approach, when the proposal may seem "out there") and that I'm happy to negotiate further to see if we can find a happy medium.

You just never know. May as well have fun with the process and give it your best shot.

Trading can be difficult, but it can be very fun too. With over 200 trades I've learned a lot. Early on I tried to get the max. out of every trade, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Now I often give away more than I get, basing my trade values on will I play what I'm getting and trading away games I'm not playing. If a game is sitting on my shelf for a year or so unplayed; it's not worth much to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trollkiing wrote:
I realize that worth is relative to how much you want/don't want the game, so, remove that from your process. Just a cold, heartless assessment.

0%. Games are worth nothing UNLESS someone wants it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.