11 Posts

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » General

Subject: Colonizing Mars - Very similarly themed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Derek
United States
flag msg tools
Can you speak at all to how this is going to be much different than Martians: A Story of Civilization? Very similarly themed and most people familiar with cooperative games will probably be wondering why they need to have both.
Both games being about Mars and being announced around the same timesurprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Terraforming Mars coming out this year. I saw this in January when all these games were announced. I'm going with Ignacy's First Martians. He's got worker placement, but with the app it's going to have an endless story aspect that'll be unmatched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wikipedia Brown
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These games are capitalizing on the success of this movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares? It is a renaissance in space themed games! I will kick/preorder all three of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
SSGMightyMouse wrote:
There's also Terraforming Mars coming out this year. I saw this in January when all these games were announced. I'm going with Ignacy's First Martians. He's got worker placement, but with the app it's going to have an endless story aspect that'll be unmatched.

Terraforming mars uses a euro style victory point system and is not coop.

I can speak to specific a few differences between Martians and Robinson. Martians has modes for coop, semi coop, and competitive and it doesnt use dice. There are obviously going to be differences in the strategy and decision space but it is hard to elaborate without habing played Martians. Robinson is one of my favorites so First Martians is a no brainer. I will also pick up Martians, I like the system presented in the video enough to give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Darlage
United States
Columbus
Indiana
flag msg tools
These pretzels are making me thirsty
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
Who cares? It is a renaissance in space themed games! I will kick/preorder all three of them.
I will also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Brown
msg tools
mb
I don't think this discussion should be dismissed at all.

I fully intend to back First Martians, and I'm rooting for Portal Games but it's worth discussing that I'm nervous about how confusing this is.

I'm a board game collector, listen to the podcasts, KNOW GAMES and I still keep forgetting which one is which. The boxes look identical and the names are confusingly similar.

Is there talk about changing the box art or something? I want this game to not be confused with the other one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well both the related Portal games have the "X: Adventures on the Y" template, so it should be pretty obvious that they are related, i.e.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet

Whereas the only thing in common between the Portal game and the other one is that they both have "Martians:" in the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:

Whereas the only thing in common between the Portal game and the other one is that they both have "Martians:" in the title.

Not quite. Both are invented by polish game designers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueWorker wrote:
Can you speak at all to how this is going to be much different than Martians: A Story of Civilization? Very similarly themed and most people familiar with cooperative games will probably be wondering why they need to have both.
Both games being about Mars and being announced around the same timesurprise

When it comes to decision making which one to buy:
I´d prefer Ignacy´s work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thomas
United States
Tn
US
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love that this will be App driving. But what bothers me is this game is for ages 10+... i want an in depth core brain burner, and i dont know if this will do. Im hoping theres different difficulty settings with advanced rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.