BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: Game Media by People of Colour? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if you guys knew of board game media creators who were people of colour. I'm hitting a wall and I can't decide if that's to do with me or with the industry. I figured you Ladies would know .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Lopez
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, what do you mean by game media? Game creators? Reviewers? Not sure.

This is a really good conversation to have though. If we can't think of any people of colour within the industry, that is a sign of a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that (like women) people of colour are underrepresented both as characters in games, as well as in the board game industry.

Now, I am by no means an expert in board game media, so I could very easily be missing someone, but the only non-Caucasian or not entirely Causasian person in gaming whom I can currently think of is Suzanne from the Dice Tower, who does very cool Kickstarter overviews on the Board Game Breakfast -- and incidentally she is also one of the few women on the Dice Tower (and elsewhere in board game reviewing).

(Edit, and somewhat off-topic:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If anyone is looking at a game with good representation of people of colour and women, check out Android: Netrunner. In the base game it's maybe not that remarkable, but with the expansions, it is.
)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Favourite Women in Gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Lopez
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I agree that (like women) people of colour are underrepresented both as characters in games, as well as in the board game industry.

Now, I am by no means an expert in board game media, so I could very easily be missing someone, but the only non-Caucasian or not entirely Causasian person in gaming whom I can currently think of is Suzanne from the Dice Tower, who does very cool Kickstarter overviews on the Board Game Breakfast -- and incidentally she is also one of the few women on the Dice Tower (and elsewhere in board game reviewing).

(Edit, and somewhat off-topic:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
If anyone is looking at a game with good representation of people of colour and women, check out Android: Netrunner. In the base game it's maybe not that remarkable, but with the expansions, it is.
)

This is the very thing that attracted me to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set. To have a Black character on the cover of the box and as a hero! Love it. We need more of this.

Also, we need to stop the unfortunate and irritating trend of including a token woman of colour (usually a Black woman) and making her a witch (or someone with mystical, otherworldly powers).

Sorry, if this sidetracked the original reason for this post. Although it's an all-encompassing issue, isn't it? Representation - behind the scenes, in front of the cameras, and as characters we can play - is necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hickman
United States
Huntington Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Machi Korro was created by a Japanese guy.

If I remember correctly the co creator of "Race for the Galaxy" is Asian American.

The Boardgame "Twilight Struggle" was co created by Ananda Gupta, Asian American.

I play Wargames and the ones from Japan are mostly created by Japanese. There are a few that have been published by American game comapnies. As an example a translated "A Victory Lost" was done by Tetsura Nakamura.

I remember the Asians cause I am partial to Asians I guess, my mom is Asian.

A Youtube channel on the Abstract game of Go/Baduk/Weichi is done by an African American fellow named Jonothan Hop. Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dzGTFPzOLU

Richard Berg is a prolific wargamer designer I like and he is a Jew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hickman
United States
Huntington Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A fellow who is heavily into the Boardgaming scene in Southern California published a Word Game, Vie, which was published by a former southern California published company "Victory Point Games". Here is a link to his game on Boardgamegeek.com https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/133530/vie

Alphonso is African American.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you mean game designers of color, the designer of The Game of 49 is African-American.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric M. Lang, currently nominated for this year's Diana Jones Award is a designer of colour. He is a rather prolific designer who's biggest hits include:

Blood Rage
Arcadia Quest
Chaos in the Old World
The second edition of the Game of Thrones LCG
The Star Wars LCG
Marvel's Dicemasters
and plenty more.

You'll also find plenty of cool trendy games coming out of Japan these days which are very likely to be designed by Japanese designers of colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mamapapillon wrote:
Sorry, what do you mean by game media? Game creators? Reviewers? Not sure.

This is a really good conversation to have though. If we can't think of any people of colour within the industry, that is a sign of a problem.

I was thinking reviewers and podcasters - media I would consume - but I think creators is a good thing to ask too.

I was reading something that encouraged consciously consuming media of people of colour and almost all my media is about board games which got me wondering... and made me think exactly what you said, that if I can't think of any then it might be a sign of a problem in the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:

That was the only media creator we could think of too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dean_H wrote:
Machi Korro was created by a Japanese guy.

If I remember correctly the co creator of "Race for the Galaxy" is Asian American.

The Boardgame "Twilight Struggle" was co created by Ananda Gupta, Asian American.

I play Wargames and the ones from Japan are mostly created by Japanese. There are a few that have been published by American game comapnies. As an example a translated "A Victory Lost" was done by Tetsura Nakamura.

I remember the Asians cause I am partial to Asians I guess, my mom is Asian.

A Youtube channel on the Abstract game of Go/Baduk/Weichi is done by an African American fellow named Jonothan Hop. Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dzGTFPzOLU

Richard Berg is a prolific wargamer designer I like and he is a Jew.

Thanks for that list! Though I will say that when a game is designed in Japan or Korea we would expect them to be Asian. But are is there equal representation in the American market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what I'm hearing here is a small percentage of Asian and African American designers within the European and American industry. But besides Suzanne there are no media creators (podcasts, youtube channels) run by people of colour who provide a non-white face for the industry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of a few Asian reviewers in print like Dale Yu of Opinionated Gamers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's Mandi, 1/3 of the To Die For Games crew.

Asdruval, who does Retro Boardgame Corner on Board Game Blender.

Not to mention Zee himself.

I have to give Tom Vasel tons of credit, he's really trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess if you include things like magic writing, lots of professional players are from all over the world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanasai Glissando
msg tools
Closest I've found is this list http://podcastsincolor.com/

There's some wargaming and RPG stuff mixed in there, but usually as one part of a larger geek culture theme. Didn't see anything exclusively tabletop related yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Billington
United States
Tyler
Texas
flag msg tools
Three little bears. One with a light. One with a stick. One with a rope. A spooky old tree. Do they dare go into that spooky old tree? Yes. They dare.
badge
Hooty Hoo!
mbmbmbmb
LimitlessMegan wrote:
I was wondering if you guys knew of board game media creators who were people of colour.

Hello. (I'm a guy, so I hope I'm not breaking protocol posting here. Wanted to share this, though.)

Josh Boykin is a game journalist of colour. I became aware of Josh through his BGG review of the game, Sol: Last Days of a Star. (The original, off-site review is here.)

From browsing Josh's site , it appears his writing is focused mostly on video games. However, one of his board game articles, Do Black People Play Board Games?, does pertain somewhat to the topic of this thread.

~Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.