Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played with my son Alex (15) today. He's played a couple times but doesn't really have the strategy down yet, and wanted to play the Rebels.

Rebel loyal systems are Kashyyyk, Mon Calamari, and Ryloth. Imperials have subjugated Corellia and Rodia, while Mygeeto, Sullust, and Saleucami have declared their firm support for the Empire. I put strong forces on Saleucami (including my AT-AT and the Death Star), Rodia, and Mygeeto, leaving only a single Stormtrooper on Corellia and medium strength forces on Corellia and Sullust. The most vulnerable point to a Rebel preemptive strike is Sullust with two troopers, a Star Destroyer, and a couple of TIEs. Rebel initial deployment isn't very good, IMO - he puts the corvette, two fighters, and half the ground troops on Mon Calamari and the rest on the base.

Since I can now kill two birds with one stone, I do so - attacking Mon Calamari with the Death Star, its TIE fighter contingent (3 or 4), and an AT-AT and AT-ST. Defenders are completely crushed thanks to a No Retreat tactics card, for the loss of an AT-ST. I hope he learned not to do THAT again. Not too much else out of the ordinary at this point; I did a Rule by Fear on Corellia to get Star Destroyer production going, and the Rebels attempted to Sabotage it with Rieekan but failed to get a success on their 1 die. I also grabbed another system, I think Naboo since I want to start moving on Utapau. Since the sabotage of Corellia failed, I use R&D to get two cards, passing on Oversee Project to take a Super Star Destroyer.

Second turn, Janus Greejatus joins the Imperial cause while Chewbacca joins the Rebellion. I'm not happy to see the walking carpet. I assign my Brilliant Administrator, Grand Moff Tarkin, to Corellia to get another ISD going, while Tagge starts production of the Super Star Destroyer. That should about cover my fleet needs. Greejatus adds Ord Mantell to the Empire to save me a move; I already suspect that the Rebel Base is going to be far from there, and I draw the Ilum probe card shortly. Utapau falls under the Imperial jackboot as well, and the Emperor prevents Jan Dodonna from Infiltrating Ord Mantell. Rebel saboteurs do manage to blow up the shipyards on Corellia, and Mon Mothma forms an alliance with Mustafar.

Third turn, the Rebels add Crix Madine while I pick up Wulff Yularen. Cato Neimoidia joins the Rebellion and I'm not in position to do anything about it. Things are starting to look like trouble in the Sullust area, so I move a Star Destroyer back from Naboo to Sullust. I believe this is about the time I occupied Geonosis and Alderaan (preparing to crush Cato Neimoidia) as well. Crix Madine performs a Misdirection mission to distract from Mon Mothma's Base Defenses mission (a curious decision, but whatever). Greejatus rushes the ISSD production while Yularen goes out and gathers intel learning nothing immediately useful but hopefully laying the groundwork for further investigation. Sullust is also sabotaged, but Darth Vader catches General Rieekan in the act; Chewbacca was deployed as a bodyguard but fell asleep on the job. I add insult to injury by clearing the Sullust sabotage with R&D, getting a Superlaser Online card. A plan starts to form - blow up Kashyyyk to get loyalty on Mandalore or Malastare.

Fourth turn, Obi-Wan Kenobi joins the Rebels and Boba Fett joins the Empire. I'm a little concerned about Yavin being a potential Rebel Base site. I accordingly use Yularen to send a Long Range Probe Droid to Yavin. Nope, no base there. So I don't need to worry about THAT, and move the Death Star back to Saleucami. Rieekan is moved to Mustafar along with a sizable ground force, where Darth Vader and Boba Fett attempt to Retrieve Stolen Plans but fail as Chewbacca uses his automatic failure. Janus Greejatus gathers intel, getting a couple more probe droid cards, but Mon Mothma goes on another mission, this time to Nal Hutta, adding it to the Rebellion. I use my newly built Super Star Destroyer and a few ground troops to root out Rebel sympathizers from Cato Neimoidia.

Fifth turn, Luke Skywalker joins the Rebellion while Admiral Piett arrives for the Empire. It occurs to me that Alex ISN'T PANICKING. He has not once run Rapid Mobilization, and I'm sure if he thought there was much of a threat he at least knows to do that. I conclude that the Rebel Base must be in one of two places - Nal Hutta or Endor (perhaps Hoth, but probably not). Of these, I consider Endor the most likely. I deploy a second AT-AT and Star Destroyer on Mustafar and send two AT-ATs, two Stormtroopers, two Star Destroyers, and two TIEs to Hoth. No base. In what looked like a potentially fatal mistake, Mon Mothma went to Mandalore and obtained assurances of support, but was detained by Boba Fett; Tagge was busy clearing the sabotage from Sullust which now looks like an important staging area and Tarkin was warming up the Superlaser. The Death Star moves to Kashyyyk with five TIEs, brushing aside the two Rebel fighters present and then blowing up the damned Wookiees. Mandalore rethinks its allegiance, going neutral - so the Rebels no longer have the support they need for Popular Support, having only Mon Calamari, Nal Hutta, Utapau, Mustafar, and Cato Neimoidia loyal. Darth Vader freezes Rieekan in Carbonite. The Rebels end the turn by sending a corvette that had earlier retreated from Mustafar to Dagobah to blockade Sullust, annoying me again but not accomplishing a lot (it still isn't enough for Cut Supply Lines).

Sixth turn, it becomes apparent to me that I've inadvertently made a great move - the Rebels are UNABLE to perform Rapid Mobilization as Rieekan is captured and Mon Mothma is detained; neither Lando nor Ackbar has been recruited. It turns out not to matter, though, because I've figured out how to possibly win the game in spite of the fact that I'm going to be seriously outnumbered when I hit the base on Endor (which it really was on). Even if my attack fails, though, I've got Homing Beacon in my back pocket and the Rebels haven't accomplished any Objectives. In spite of the ridiculous quantity of troops sitting on the Rebel Base (17 units total, counting the Ion Cannon and Shield Generator from Base Defenses), I have Tagge and his Action card. I take 3 extra Ground Tactics for a total of 5, enabling me to take out the Ion Cannon on the first round of combat before I've lost either Star Destroyer. That gives me the firepower I need to then destroy the Rebel Fleet, and two AT-ATs together are almost invincible (especially with that many tactics cards; I blocked three damage to them in the first round). So the Rebellion was crushed after something like 7 or 8 rounds of combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parsons
msg tools
"and the Rebels attempted to Sabotage it with Rieekan but failed to get a success on their 1 die."

I just wondered if this was a challenged test? If not then attempt rolls are not made and the action is successful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
mb
Malfurion wrote:
"and the Rebels attempted to Sabotage it with Rieekan but failed to get a success on their 1 die."

I just wondered if this was a challenged test? If not then attempt rolls are not made and the action is successful

As long as the opposite side has a leader in the system, the mission will be opposed. Even if the "opposing" leader has no relevant skill icon, the attempting leader still has to roll at least 1 success to be able to succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly right. Because there was a leader present from the earlier Rule by Fear, Rieekan needed to roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.