Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a folding Go board at a Goodwill store. Anyone know what's on the back?

A Shogi variant that uses an 8x9 board?

Also, any translation of the Korean on the box would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... Chinese Chess.

Never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's rather Korean chess, Changgi

Same board etc but slightly different rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

I'm curious, I was going to say Xiangqi(Chinese Chess), so what is the differences that you see in the picture that point to the Korean one?
(besides the korean characters, I mean. I''m assuming there's more than that to indicate it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
Traditional games that have survived the test of time and ancient games that have not are a part of our heritage.
badge
m'n - the Egyptian hieroglyph for board game, also signifying "stability" and used phonetically as in the last syllable of "Tutankhamun"
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I'm curious, I was going to say Xiangqi(Chinese Chess), so what is the differences that you see in the picture that point to the Korean one?
(besides the korean characters, I mean. I''m assuming there's more than that to indicate it)

A Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) board has a river across the middle of the board (a row without lines dividing it) while a Changgi (Korean Chess) board does not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Willgamer wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
whac3 wrote:

A Xiangqi (Chinese Chess) board has a river in the middle of the board between the two sides (a row without lines dividing it) while a Changgi (Korean Chess) board does not.
Thanks! I missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as long as there are some knowledgeable folks identifying this game, can anyone tell me what this game is on the back of my Go board?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
So as long as there are some knowledgeable folks identifying this game, can anyone tell me what this game is on the back of my Go board?

Thanks in advance!

This is Xiang Qi, Chinese chess, unlike the image at the start of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Thanks in advance!

This is Xiang Qi, Chinese chess, unlike the image at the start of the thread.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelanpt wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Wider spacing and no river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Ruppelt
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Are the pieces the same sans the language printed on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Are the pieces the same sans the language printed on them?

Pieces are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chinese and Korean Chess have the same pieces, but most of the pieces move in slightly different ways.
Korean Chess tends to play as a longer game than Chinese Chess.

Chinese Elephant Piece and the River
Among the many differences in the moves, the Korean elephant moves in the most obviously different way. The Chinese elephant just moves two diagonal points in a straight line. The Chinese elephant may not cross the centre of the board. Hence the Chinese board has the river. A piece blocking the first point, blocks the whole move.

Korean Elephant Piece and No River
In Korean chess, the elephant moves one point orthogonally, followed by moving two points in a diagonal straight line. A piece occupying any intermediate point blocks the move. Also, the rules do not restrict the movement of the Korean elephant to only one side of the board. Hence, the Korean board has no need for a river.

Chinese Writing on the Counters
While Korean and Chinese chess both have Chinese writing on the counters, in Korean Chess, the writing for one side looks different from the writing on the other side.

Numerous small differences occur in the moves of most of the other pieces as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.