Subject: The butterfly effect in scythe rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a fantastic game of scythe again last night. I was playing as the saxons and I had the two oil board and four metal for mechs. This should be a fast upgrade route for me.

HOWEVER I had the secret objective of getting a factory card with no upgrades. This was my downfall as I somehow fixated on getting it completed.

In hindsight I should of ignored it but this highlights how a seemingly small decision at the start has massive consequences at the end.This wasn't the reason why I lost the game (losing several key battles was crucial as well) but this was an interesting observation from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same thing trying to get the highest building bonus once. I spent 3 turns trying to get into perfect position when I should have been focusing elsewhere. Losing the forest for the trees...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny, last night I had an objective to have the same number of recruits as workers and I figured it would be too hard to make happen and I didn't want to get hung up on it, so I powered on. All of a sudden around turn wind-up time I remembered the objective and realised that if I swapped my current intended action with my next turn intended action I could make it happen. And bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim D
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think the objectives really should be a secondary consideration. If you have a plan or situation that happens to fall in line with them then great, otherwise I feel like you could be pursuing them to your own detriment. The same goes for the building bonus. If you are spending turns on actions to try and get in position for the top tier of bonuses you may end up at a net loss compared to taking some other actions that would have gained you more coins right then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Power
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benrocky wrote:
...this highlights how a seemingly small decision at the start has massive consequences at the end.This wasn't the reason why I lost the game (losing several key battles was crucial as well) but this was an interesting observation from the game.

Last night I was Nordic and the first to the factory. I was debating between two different cards. I chose one I thought would be the most beneficial, and within four turns I realized I should have chosen the other one. The Polania player got to the factory next and took the other one I was considering and ended up using it to great effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 4 player game today, as Polonia, I took advantage of a tunnel to sneak attack Saxony after they had just battled Rusviet, and I won. After the game, the Saxony player said how damaging that attack was, because he had attacked Rusviet in order to not only get a star, but put them in a territory that was near 2 mountains. One of his objectives was to control 3 mountains and he already had the one near his home base.

So by him choosing those actions in order to complete an objective, especially early in the game, it set him back quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Yuen
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JimDinVT wrote:
Yeah, I think the objectives really should be a secondary consideration. If you have a plan or situation that happens to fall in line with them then great, otherwise I feel like you could be pursuing them to your own detriment. The same goes for the building bonus. If you are spending turns on actions to try and get in position for the top tier of bonuses you may end up at a net loss compared to taking some other actions that would have gained you more coins right then.

Yep consider it a lesson learnt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even bother looking at my objectives till half way through the game. Then I have a look and If I can do it without veering away from my strategy, then I aim for them, otherwise, I forgot about their existence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
I don't even bother looking at my objectives till half way through the game.

That seems unlikely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave E
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
JimDinVT wrote:

I agree. If you can complete your objective by doing 1 extra move, for example if you happen to control say 2 mountains and just need to control 3 to complete your objective I'd spend one turn doing a move action to move onto a third mountain, especially if I can also use the bottom row action. Anymore then 1 turn is likely not worth it. I've seen a number of games won without the winner completing their objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to me is to choose between your two objectives carefully. Most of the time, one can play into a strategy favored by your faction/player mat combination well, you just have to identify which it is.

That said, it's just one star, and there are ample opportunities to earn stars. So fixating too hard on one that doesn't run parallel to your plans is definitely a trap.

I do look at mine at the beginning of the game, though, as you can blow your eligibility on the first turn when a minor adjustment would make it an easy get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group learned the lesson about not overvaluing objectives in our first 4p game. one of the players went for the Beloved Pacifist objective (i think that was the name? it was to have high popularity and basically no combat ability, i forget the exact details). she was then summarily destroyed and handed out free combat stars to basically everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Watts
United States
Mount Juliet
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davece wrote:

I agree. If you can complete your objective by doing 1 extra move, for example if you happen to control say 2 mountains and just need to control 3 to complete your objective I'd spend one turn doing a move action to move onto a third mountain, especially if I can also use the bottom row action. Anymore then 1 turn is likely not worth it. I've seen a number of games won without the winner completing their objective.

I think this is good advice and I might start mentioning it when teaching how to play. I think I'd recommend not spending more than 2 dedicated actions attempting to obtain an objective.

Perhaps it would be worth 3 actions, but it's hard to see how an objective could ever be worth more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game, I tell people to look at them, but don't get too distracted by them. If they can accomplish them, fine, but don't build your strategy around them. They can be like the quest cards in Defenders of the Realm, where they are great to try to complete if you can do it without sidetracking from what you need to do otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks are kind of in the same boat of temptation. 2 possible stars, but how will your attack be taken by the other players, especially RIGHT after the attack when you are weakened? Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.