$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
39.3% of Goal | left

Support:

Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wrapped up my second solo game (with a win!), using the pre-fab Leadership desk. I got smoked on my first play with the Lore deck.

During the Passage Through Mirkwood scenario, I randomly drew Don't Leave the Path as my third quest card. I finally encountered Ungoliant's Spawn in one of the last 3 cards. He was revealed after I traveled to Mountains of Mirkwood. Fortunately, I had no engaged enemies at that point and a healthy queue of heroes and allies to work with. Gandalf also jumped into lay the smack down, so it was a pretty quick fight.

So, here's my question...
What would have happened if Ungoliant's Spawn turned up as a shadow card? Would he have just gone into the discard pile and I'd have to keep cycling through, hoping that didn't happen a second time or that I didn't hit 50 on my threat dial?

I was fairly certain it was going to happen because I was fighting off 4 enemies just before that (Dol Guldur Beastmaster included), so I was burning 5 shadow cards every round. It just seems like I got really lucky, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Isn't Don't Leave the Path the one where you (thematically) try to run/hide from Ungliant's Spawn? (Edit: Guess not, see next reply)
Just quest through that, only kill her if she shows up, her coming up as Shadow is a "freebie" and saves you touble. (She just needs to be "not in play", you don't need to find and kill her)

The other one (whatever name) requires killing her (again, if you already did so during an earlier step), but it allows you to search for spiders (she is one), so you should always be able to get her and the situation where she's still in the deck and can come up as Shadow while you need her shouldn't come up.
(Unless for whatever reason you decide to not search for her at that point, but umm, don't. No amount of feeling not prepared right now is worth digging through the deck for her possibly multiple times due to Shadow issue.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Brown
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3A side of the card has text of:

"When Revealed: Each player must search the encounter deck and discard pile for 1 Spider card of his choice, and add it to the staging area.
The Players must find and defeat Ungoliant's Spawn to win this game."

So, if Ungoliant's Spawn is in the discard pile, for whatever reason, you can put it back into the staging area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lett
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies.

I may have been reading into the theme too much. I guess in my head, I assumed you take the fork in the road and have to seek out Ungoliant's Spawn. I may have also been assuming if it intended you to grab him from the encounter deck or discard pile, it would have said so outright (instead of just saying "spider").

In hindsight, I was probably better prepared when he came out than when I first hit stage 3. I'm glad to know this scenario isn't based on a massive dose of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
The intend is for you to grab it, but it just says spider so in the case the ungoliath is already in play, another spider takes its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
x_chan wrote:
The intend is for you to grab it, but it just says spider so in the case the ungoliath is already in play, another spider takes its place.

Another spider in this instance would JOIN Ungoliant Spawn,not take its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
x_chan wrote:

Another spider in this instance would JOIN Ungoliant Spawn,not take its place.

I think he meant that you would have to pick up another spider to "take the place" of the Ungoliant Spawn card which you would have normally picked out. Awkward wording, but I don't think he meant you would replace Ungoliant Spawn with a new spider.

Another reason the generic "spider" has to be used is because each player (or hand if playing solo dual-hand) has to bring out a spider card. So only 1 player would be able to pick out Ungoliant Spawn while the other player has to pick out a different spider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black spark
msg tools
The original question was about having Ungoliant's Spawn as a shadow card. It is certainly possible that this could occur.

If Ungoliant's Spawn appears as a shadow card, it is discarded at the end of the combat phase. Unless you have Shadow of the Past to put Ungoliant's Spawn back on top of the encounter deck, you would have to keep cycling through the encounter deck until it entered play.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
black spark wrote:
The original question was about having Ungoliant's Spawn as a shadow card. It is certainly possible that this could occur.

If Ungoliant's Spawn appears as a shadow card, it is discarded at the end of the combat phase. Unless you have Shadow of the Past to put Ungoliant's Spawn back on top of the encounter deck, you would have to keep cycling through the encounter deck until it entered play.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-c...

While Ungoliant's Spawn can appear as a shadow card, that's only a potential problem if you advance to 3A while it's a shadow card. In other words, you'd have to finish stage 2B during combat. That's not usually the case, but not impossible, with Legolas's ability it'd be rather easy to contrive. However, if you knew the quest and Legolas was attacking at the normal time, you would have already seen that Ungoliant's Spawn was one of the shadows, and would know not to use Legolas' response just in case "Don't Leave the Path" is the next stage. If you don't know the quest, or haven't seen all the shadow cards (e.g. by using Quick Strike with Legolas), you could end up in this state accidentally.

So rare, but possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.