Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the Ongoing ability has me really confused and the rulebook doesn't seem to help.

For example, in the rulebook for Grovetender it says:
Quote:
This is an “Ongoing” ability, meaning if Grovetender is sleeved on a card, thereafter, whether that card is on-deck, in your field, in your discard pile, or in your deck, Grovetender’s ability is in effect. For each on [Guardian] on the card ([Guardian] on advancements in the same sleeve), Grovetender is considered to have +1 [Growth]. For example, if Grovetender and Stag were sleeved together on the same card, Grovetender would be considered to have 2 [Growth]. You still, of course, only get these [growth] while Grovetender is in your field or on-deck.

My interpretation is that you don't get the benefit of the growth symbols unless they are in your field or on deck. Then what's the point of the "ongoing" ability? Why does it matter that you have growth symbols on that card in your deck or discard pile?

Similarly, Lifebringer Seed also has "Ongoing". In this case,
Quote:
This is an “Ongoing” ability, meaning if Lifebringer Seed is sleeved on a card, thereafter, whether that card is on-deck, in your field, in your discard pile, or in your deck, it is considered to have no [decay] on it.

Well, if Decay only matters when that card is in your field or on deck, then what's the purpose of "ongoing"?

I can only assume that Ongoing effects will be addressed in expansions? Or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the intent of "ongoing" is that the effect is always "on" and does not need to be "used" once during a turn nor triggered in a specific phase.

If the card is in your field or is on deck, then the effect is automatically "on".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I think the intent of "ongoing" is that the effect is always "on" and does not need to be "used" once during a turn nor triggered in a specific phase.

If the card is in your field or is on deck, then the effect is automatically "on".

Ok.. so to contrast it with "Harvest" for example, because with "Harvest" the growth symbols wouldn't be in effect on top of deck... That makes sense, I guess I found it confusing that they also say that its in effect when in your deck and in your discard pile...

It almost makes it sound as if the growth symbols are active at all times (which one player in our group thought was the case). But then the bottom section seems to confirm that no the growth is only taken into account if its in your field or on deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's confusing! Maybe "permanent" would have been a better term? Or to just have said ongoing is always on and not listed all the places a card could be, even when it's not active, which caused the question in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
I agree it's confusing! Maybe "permanent" would have been a better term? Or to just have said ongoing is always on and not listed all the places a card could be, even when it's not active, which caused the question in the first place?

Yeah, because it said the card's effect was active in deck and discard pile, the player believed that they had a permanent growth symbol every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might also be important because of cards like "Gaia's Chosen," which provide extra victory points based on the symbols present on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
Might also be important because of cards like "Gaia's Chosen," which provide extra victory points based on the symbols present on the card.

Gaia's Chosen only looks at printed symbols, it ignores text effects.

I think the wording for Ongoing is indeed a future proofing example. For now the only possible interaction is Calm Weather that let's you look at your next on-deck card which is still in your deck until you decide where to put it (on-deck or discard). Now imagine a card that has you search your deck or discard for a card with a specific symbol to put in your field, if another part of that card is canceling that symbol then you cannot choose that card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.