Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing on Goko, I used Inheritance on Fortress.

Inheritance states that Estates gain the abilities of the card set aside. One of the abilities of Fortress is that when you trash it, you put it into your hand.

But, in that game, when I trashed one of my Estates using Bishop, it stayed in the trash instead of coming back to my hand.

Did Goko get that wrong, or is there some nuance of the rules I'm not understanding that would mean the Estate stays trashed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
The Estates have the inherited abilities only while they are yours. They are not yours anymore, when trashed. In trash they are Estates only again (without any extra abilities on top).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
David Goldfarb wrote:

Inheritance states that Estates gain the abilities of the card set aside. One of the abilities of Fortress is that when you trash it, you put it into your hand.

But, in that game, when I trashed one of my Estates using Bishop, it stayed in the trash instead of coming back to my hand.

Did Goko get that wrong, or is there some nuance of the rules I'm not understanding that would mean the Estate stays trashed?

The Estate-Fortress should return to your hand.

At the moment you trash the Estate, it's yours. It's no longer yours in the trash, but the ability that returns it already triggered and doesn't care about that.

This is not one of those cases where a card is "lost track" of; the Estate-Fortress is in the trash, where the ability expects it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

The Estate-Fortress should return to your hand.

At the moment you trash the Estate, it's yours. It's no longer yours in the trash, but the ability that returns it already triggered and doesn't care about that.

This is not one of those cases where a card is "lost track" of; the Estate-Fortress is in the trash, where the ability expects it to be.

Even though the Estate gains the ability of the Fortress, it still retains the same cost as the Estate right? So if you use any TfB (trash for benefit) card like Upgrade, you can only gain a card that costs exactly 3, not 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Even though the Estate gains the ability of the Fortress, it still retains the same cost as the Estate right? So if you use any TfB (trash for benefit) card like Upgrade, you can only gain a card that costs exactly 3, not 5?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Yes: Estates gain the Abilities and Types of the Inherited card; but not the Name or Cost, nor are they from the same pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.