Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: USS Discovery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/23/12257910/star-trek-discove...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At first look that is one ugly ship looks like someone put a saucer on a K'tinga and flipped up the nacelles. We'll have to see what it can do when we get more teasers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. L.
msg tools
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
At first look that is one ugly ship looks like someone put a saucer on a K'tinga and flipped up the nacelles. We'll have to see what it can do when we get more teasers.

... actually looks like the original Ralph McQuarrie concept art for the "Phase II" series after TOS which never happened. Seems kind of fitting.

If you want UGLY, ugly, there was supposed to be another animated series but licensing changing hands fell through IIRC. Star Trek Final Frontier, was supposed to be a bit grittier overall. They'd intentionally changed up the aesthetics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
Base on the registry number, NCC-1031, it looks like this series will focus on an older class of ship if it takes place during Kirk's time. Either that or bridge the gap between Enterprise and TOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It definitely seems like a Klingon/Federation hybrid. Look at the body and nacelles in the second pic and the neck in the third pic. Very Klingon. I wonder if half the crew will be Klingon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Hunter
United States
California
flag msg tools
That is one ugly mutha... On FB Andy Probert made fun by saying he should have just copied Ralph Macquarie's design back in the late 70's. My wife teased me by saying I'll end up loving it. I hope the show is better than the ship. I've never been a fan of this design. Looks like the enterprise and a star destroyer had one ugly baby.

Quick trivia: that ship was featured in the TNG episode "Best Of Both Worlds" part two. It was seen for one second on the lower right when the Enterprise reaches Wolf 359 and what's left of the fed fleet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty ugly. It looks like one of those quick kit bashes the Star Trek folks used to do to have a lot of wrecks at places like Wolf 359.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am not too sure what to think, shipwise I think I could get used to it but the color of the ship, asteroid shupyard launch and the logo with a divide in it are really interresting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

I am not too sure what to think, shipwise I think I could get used to it but the color of the ship, asteroid shupyard launch and the logo with a divide in it are really interresting.

All part of the darker nastier "grittier" Star Trek I expect. Since Star Trek is the only moderately optimistic view of the future, I'm not on board with this trend, but even the most clear cut good guys (and girls) are getting this treatment (I'm taking to you Superman).

Oh well, I'm not the one they're doing this series for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MA
msg tools
Cypherxv wrote:
That is one ugly mutha... On FB Andy Probert made fun by saying he should have just copied Ralph Macquarie's design back in the late 70's. My wife teased me by saying I'll end up loving it. I hope the show is better than the ship. I've never been a fan of this design. Looks like the enterprise and a star destroyer had one ugly baby.

Quick trivia: that ship was featured in the TNG episode "Best Of Both Worlds" part two. It was seen for one second on the lower right when the Enterprise reaches Wolf 359 and what's left of the fed fleet.

Gah my DVD from that show is so fuzzy...hard to make it out, do you have a screenie?

And yes I find it ironic that after 4 decades and the Great Bird of the Galaxy's passing on...CBS Paramount invents a 'new' ship. Is there that much lack of imagination or is just fear or orders from the top?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a reason that Gene Roddenberry himself rejected that original concept for the ship way back in the 70's. It is friggin ugly as all hell.

I really had high hopes that they would make the new show post DS9/Voyager so that they could do new things. Having proof now that it is set ToS era or earlier took the wind out of my sails. It is going to suffer from the same problems that plagued Enterprise in that they are limited by the existing lore and fluff of the Trek Universe and won't be able to introduce anything new or original to the show. It will have to conform to what alien races and technology existed at the time and will severely limit any creativity that they could have had in the show.

I will still check it out just because, but I fear it won't last more than a season. I'm more excited about getting more episodes of Tim Russ' Renegades than I am for this new "official" show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:
There is a reason that Gene Roddenberry himself rejected that original concept for the ship way back in the 70's. It is friggin ugly as all hell.

I really had high hopes that they would make the new show post DS9/Voyager so that they could do new things. Having proof now that it is set ToS era or earlier took the wind out of my sails. It is going to suffer from the same problems that plagued Enterprise in that they are limited by the existing lore and fluff of the Trek Universe and won't be able to introduce anything new or original to the show. It will have to conform to what alien races and technology existed at the time and will severely limit any creativity that they could have had in the show.

I will still check it out just because, but I fear it won't last more than a season. I'm more excited about getting more episodes of Tim Russ' Renegades than I am for this new "official" show.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/13/new-star-trek-tv-seri...

The show is definitively not set prior to TOS. It's set post- Star Trek VI and before TNG. Given that the USS Discovery here looks like a Federation ship with a K'Tinga class secondary hull it seems like it would be the perfect era to introduce a ship that might be a joint Federation-Klingon construction project following the Khitomer Accords.

That would make the ship design make alot of sense to me and offers some fertile thematic territory to explore the evolving relationships of cooperation, trust and mistrust of two former adversaries that are now at peace (territory that could certainly emulate our own geopolitical experiences in these last 26 years) and struggling with that peace.

I agree it's not the prettiest ship but its unusual design alone could offer interesting story possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
It honestly does look like a product of the khitomer accords. That seems a reasonable explanation for design choices.

It is less embarrassing from an engineering stand point than most Fed designs. So bonus points there.

I personally like it. Then again, I hated the USS Defiant, Enterprise-D, and Enterprise-C designs. So maybe I am just happy for something a little different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender02 wrote:

Well, keep in mind that the new series is probably going to be an "Anthology" style show, so if you don't like the setting for this season, you might find the setting for Season 2 to be more to your liking. Personally, I love the anthology approach, a la "True Detective" , as it's a great way to keep the show fresh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured they would use a class that hasn't been used before, but deep down I was hoping for a Constellation class. That class fits well with the between ST VI and TNG that we were told about. A little advanced for Kirk's time but out matched by the time Picard takes command of the Stagazer. An Excelsior or Ambassador class would have been nice too. Just about any existing class would have been better than the kitbash they have shown us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ray
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Either that's the longest serving Federation starship post-Nemesis or CBS still hasn't learned their ST: Enterprise lesson and are going pre-TOS judging by the hull number (Happy Halloween?) The only thing of interest there is the Romulan war and founding of the Federation and Axanar, the former two of which Enterprise clumsily avoided. Maybe this is going to be the "fifth" season of ST:E. I hope not because Fuller has discounted the anthology concept and post TOS-pre TNG which had the Klingon war to explore. But who knows maybe he was just blowing smoke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my main problem is how surprisingly poor the modeling/texturing of the model is. I just saw ST:Beyond Thur & Sat night and the 3D work on the Enterprise is exceptional. Including window interiors throughout the ship that had depth. Just amazing work. I suppose if I hadn't just seen it last night I might of been more impressed.

Now I'm sure the design will grow on me. I know a lot of people didn't like the original TNG Enterprise. But I was just surprised on the modeling even compared to current Scifi TV shows. Heck, Killjoys and Dark Matter have better work and their budgets are probably much lower then Trek.

But this is a teaser and it might of been rushed so I'm expecting improvements by the time the show is near broadcast. It's not surprising for a marketing department to spring release stuff like this at the last minute requiring the people that actually do the work to rush to get something done by an impossible deadline.

Also, it doesn't look like Michael Okuda or Rick Sternbach are involved at all on this new show. Disappointing and surprising. Mr. Okuda is such an expert on Star Trek that his involvement would of greatly benefited the show. And Mr. Sternbach's ship designs in the other shows was amazing work. His ships were elegant and functional looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Hunter
United States
California
flag msg tools
Tiltowait wrote:
Cypherxv wrote:

Gah my DVD from that show is so fuzzy...hard to make it out, do you have a screenie?

And yes I find it ironic that after 4 decades and the Great Bird of the Galaxy's passing on...CBS Paramount invents a 'new' ship. Is there that much lack of imagination or is just fear or orders from the top?

I never knew it was there until recently when I saw it on an episode of TrekYards on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/5DmXnChUhgE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pantner
Australia
flag msg tools
Zinvictus wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

The show is definitively not set prior to TOS. It's set post- Star Trek VI and before TNG. Given that the USS Discovery here looks like a Federation ship with a K'Tinga class secondary hull it seems like it would be the perfect era to introduce a ship that might be a joint Federation-Klingon construction project following the Khitomer Accords.

That would make the ship design make alot of sense to me and offers some fertile thematic territory to explore the evolving relationships of cooperation, trust and mistrust of two former adversaries that are now at peace (territory that could certainly emulate our own geopolitical experiences in these last 26 years) and struggling with that peace.

I agree it's not the prettiest ship but its unusual design alone could offer interesting story possibilities.

ahh, pretty sure the rumors in that article have been proved wrong.

There is a link i followed either on here or the STAW Facebook group where one of the producers flat out denies both the time being after ST:VI and the fact it's an anthology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pantner wrote:
Zinvictus wrote:
Ender02 wrote:

ahh, pretty sure the rumors in that article have been proved wrong.

There is a link i followed either on here or the STAW Facebook group where one of the producers flat out denies both the time being after ST:VI and the fact it's an anthology.

Yeah, here is the interview with Fuller...
http://www.moviefone.com/2016/06/23/bryan-fuller-star-trek-i...
OK, if he's being truthful, then yeah, not an anthology (which is a shame, in my opinion), and not set between VI and TNG. Frankly, given the registry number on the ship shown in the image, NCC-1031, which is older than the original Enterprise (but not the name ship of the class, the Constitution with NCC-1017, which has a funny backstory around the filming of the classic "Doomsday Machine" episode), would place this series if anything prior to TOS. As a certain Vulcan might say, "fascinating".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

Is it me, or is this the first Star Trek vessel that uses nautical ship lighting as opposed to strobes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only beef with the new ship is that the saucer looks like a hubcap.

...And why does the saucer have a trench running around it? It looks like it has an inner ring and an outer ring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Knapp
United Kingdom
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trailer seems to almost have used the Mcquarrie concepts as a storyboard. Take this one for eg:

You even have the same circle patterns on the side of the asteroid in the trailer:

Maybe a grower? Hope it is successful obviously...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From this angle it looks pretty cool.

Truth be told I would have prefered it looked like this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Shran
msg tools
mb
I don't want to bash the series beforehand, but the ship is really ugly. I hated the concept art before, and the ship looks only a little better. Maybe it will grow on me. And the teaser looks like a fan-made production somehow.

I'm just curious if it's set in the Kelvin timeline or in the original one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.